Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

virus protection for Macbook OS X 10.9.5

I was just downloading software so that i could download free music and MACKEEPER popped up warning me that my Macbook required immediate clean-up

due to 3 **** sites and threat to personal data on my laptop.

I used to use Mackeeper, but the Apple technician in Kuala Lumper advised me they are a scam.

So what do i do ... it sounds URGENT

I request the help of the Mac family and community to guide my next step.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 6:11 AM

It is most likely a web site pop-up that is attempting to scare you into getting MacKeeper. Web pages should not be able to see into your Mac to be able to know if there is anything right or wrong with your Mac.

7 replies

May 28, 2015 7:22 AM in response to maayi

maayi wrote:

I was just downloading software so that i could download free music and MACKEEPER popped up warning me that my Macbook required immediate clean-up

Since this happened immediately after you installed software for downloading "free" music, it's likely that that software was a scam and included either adware or MacKeeper, or both. If you are trying to download commercial music for free, that is illegal, and any sources you are going to find are going to be criminals... you should not trust anything they give you. In some cases, even real malware has been distributed through such channels. Even sources of legitimately free music should be treated with extreme suspicion until proven otherwise, as that may be done by scammers mis-using free content as "bait" to get you to download something.

To remove any adware that might be installed, see my Adware Removal Guide. (Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

To remove MacKeeper, see:

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

May 28, 2015 9:32 AM in response to maayi

To add a little on the methods and means MacKeeper seems to employ...

They seem to be "in cahoots" with the SITE from which you download - either by the site 'allowing them to insert their code into their pages', or by hacking the site... you do not need to actually download anything - it is a PopUp/PopUnder method - just ACT at the right place to invoke the invisible 'button' -

I have actually visited sites (only once!) that seem to have an OnClick script EVERYWHERE on the page - like a big invisible button covering the entire thing

Downloading FREE music usually violates U.S. Laws and International Treaties - AND takes the ability of musicians to put bread on the table from them. It makes you a PIRATE in the eyes of the law. Pay your $1 at the iTunes Music Store! PLEASE?

virus protection for Macbook OS X 10.9.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.