Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine - blank backups

HI

just been given a time capsule as my existing external drive is failing

Followed instructions and initially set it up to run via NIC initial backup was 250gb - which surprised me but ..

Once it was completed sucessfully I set up the time capsule to run on my existing network wirelessly and it appears to be creating backups.

I do have two questions:

If I enter time machine and wait for the waiting message to dissapear at the back of the stack are 8 windows no writing and they are white rather than grey is this an issue?

second if i go into finder and then the time capsule and try to open it I fail and get the error

The following diskimage cannot be opened Iansmacbook pro sparsebundle resource temporarily unavailable

Is this an issue

thanks for any help just want to be sure I have good backups

Ian

Posted on May 28, 2015 4:20 AM

6 replies

May 28, 2015 2:33 PM in response to jenodorf

Yosemite can be extremely slow to fill in the history.

Once it was completed sucessfully I set up the time capsule to run on my existing network wirelessly and it appears to be creating backups.

Explain this to me a bit more..

If the TC is plugged into the main router by ethernet and providing wireless for the network which your mac connects to .. that is great.

If the TC is sitting somewhere powered only .. with all connections by wireless.. you will find it difficult to reach and slow..

Describe your whole network.. plus what OS is on the computer?

TM in Yosemite works poorly with a network of any complexity.

May 29, 2015 3:55 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi

thanks for the info

the time capsule is just bpluged in nand is using wireless.

The network 90% of the time consists of the macbook pro and a windows 7 64bit PC

The time capsule is onl;y used to backup the macbook pro which holds my wifes vast family tree research.

MY network is connected to the internet via fibre in excess of 80mb ( according to mInterent speed tests)

IN reality the mac backups are in the region of 4mb I did the first one via ethernet as it contains 100s of pictures which are never changed.

When I enter the time capsule I can see all the files listed although I haven't tried a restore.

Just these windows at the back that have white tabs and no writing, the windows in front have a waiting message hence my concerns

cheers

Ian

May 29, 2015 5:29 AM in response to jenodorf

I still need you to be more exact.

the time capsule is just bpluged in nand is using wireless.

Plugged into power?

Plugged by ethernet into the main router?

Plugged directly into the Fibre ONT?

Is the TC the only wireless router.. or is there another router.. if so what model number??

IN reality the mac backups are in the region of 4mb I did the first one via ethernet as it contains 100s of pictures which are never changed.

What I am worried about is you are using wireless to a main router which is then relayed to the TC.. and this causes issues.

When I enter the time capsule I can see all the files listed although I haven't tried a restore.

Do you mean Time Machine..?? Time Capsule is the hardware.. Time Machines is the backup software.

The network 90% of the time consists of the macbook pro and a windows 7 64bit PC

You kindly provided the OS of the PC but not the Mac.. I need the Mac one and not the PC.. 😁

I gather the PC is yours.. hence the detail.. and the Mac is the wife's and hence lack of detail??

Just these windows at the back that have white tabs and no writing, the windows in front have a waiting message hence my concerns

Over slow wireless.. you might take an hour or more to fill in.. did you wait long enough??

May 29, 2015 6:50 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi

the time capsule is plugged into mains only and connects to the network via the wireless router . This router is a BT Homehub which is connected to the BT fibre network.

I.m using the time capsule in my office as I use it as a USB print server.

The macbook pro is using Yosimite with no updates available.

I use the PC mainly because it's a desktop and runs my accounts package and other Windows based software. but hopefully in the future I'll change to a mac. and run windows on that when I need it.

The Laptop is used by my wife for her family tree and she takes it to churches, record offices etc. to enter records directly

I'll bring up the time machine and wait to see if the rear white windows become vivible perhaps I didn't wait long enough

cheers

Ian

May 29, 2015 1:56 PM in response to jenodorf

This will be incredibly slow..

You should plug the TC into the BThub using ethernet.. and set wireless in the TC to create a wireless network.. not extend not join.

Then on the Mac at least connect directly to the TC by 5ghz wireless or even better ethernet.. (if your mac has no port buy thunderbolt to ethernet adapter).

You need to understand what is happening.. the TC has become a wireless client to the BThub.. just as the mac is.. all packets are double hopping over wireless which will cause enormous slowdown and make your backups and opening of TC slow as. You have effectively killed the TC as a wireless router.

time machine - blank backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.