Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add values across different Numbers files

I am a PE teacher and I have two documents which both have data in them. I would like to know how to add data from a range of cells in one document to a cell in another document. I know I can do this in Excel but have recently purchased a Macbook and need to know the equivalent in Numbers.

I have recorded points students have scored for their sports houses in a table on a sheet in a "Swimming" Numbers document. I have another Numbers document "Cross Country" previously setup to record house points for the cross country.

The "Cross Country" document also has a Running House Points Total on one sheet.

I would like to add more points from the "Swimming" document to the Running Total on the "Cross Country" document.

Can someone help me write the formula?

I know in excel all I had to do is type SUM then in the range input click on the Workbook:Worksheet:Cell Ranges then press enter. Simples. This doesn't work for me in Numbers. AARGH😕😠

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 28, 2015 4:44 AM

2 replies

May 28, 2015 4:54 AM in response to RangerJP

Numbers cannot refer to cells in another document. The only way you can solve your problem is to combine the several documents into a single document. I would suggest moving the sheets of one into the sheets of another by, one at a time, selecting the sheet to move, then use the contextual menu for that sheet to copy, then switch to the destination doc, and past the sheet using the contextual menu of any sheet

How do I add values across different Numbers files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.