Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse not working under Windows 7 with Apple Keyboard after Keyboard switch

Hello,

I'm having an issue using my Mighty Mouse with the Apple Keyboard (flat, 2010, USB 2). I have a 2010 iMac, running BootCamp with Windows 7. I have had no issue until this point using my Apple Pro Keyboard (Circa 2000) with the Mighty Mouse in either OS X or Windows 7. Now, I need the extra function keys of the newer keyboard, and I swapped out the older one for the newer one. I swapped them with the machine off, and plugged the Mighty Mouse into the keyboard. They both work fine under OS X. When I restarted into Windows 7, the keyboard worked fine, but the mouse, while the laser was lit, did not function at all. While troubleshooting, I attempted to plug the mouse into the computer directly, which had no effect. I shut down the machine, removed the keyboard entirely, and plugged the mouse in directly. On restart, the mouse did work being plugged in directly. I then connected the keyboard, which then worked as well. If I then removed the mouse and plugged it into the keyboard, it still would not function.

I am sure this may be some sort of driver-type issue, but I am at a loss as to why it works directly connected but not through the keyboard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Of note, this is a 2010 iMac, and has USB 2 only. There is no USB 3, and I would not think that this is related to the Windows 7/USB 3 issues others have had. Thank you.

-John

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 28, 2015 6:38 AM

12 replies

May 28, 2015 9:14 AM in response to John-Robert La Porta

On the Windows side, after you daisy chain the Mighty Mouse via the Keyboard, can you look in Device Manager for any unknown devices (yellow triangle with exclamation mark). Your daisy chain makes the keyboard function like a USB hub, which may not be supported in Windows.

On the OSX side, with the daisy chain, check System Report -> USB of devices and see who they function and are recognized.

May 28, 2015 5:00 PM in response to Loner T

Loner,

After taking your advice, I tried a few things. First, I did indeed use the System Report to verify that everything appeared correctly, and it did. Next, I did as you suggested in Windows, and found the keyboard, as well as having the mouse attached to the left USB port. It did indeed register as Mighty Mouse. When I switched it to the right port, however, it appeared as "Unknown Device." Wanting to experiment, I got an old Apple Pro Mouse, and connected that to the right port. Indeed, Windows recognized it as a "HID compliant device" and it worked properly. This worked regardless whether it was in the right or left port. So, the Mighty Mouse does work, and both ports on the keyboard do work, because the Pro Mouse works in either port. I will send you screen captures of both scenarios. First, with the Mighty Mouse connected to the left keyboard port, and the Pro Mouse connected to the left port:

User uploaded file

Next is what happens with the reverse scenario, the Mighty Mouse in the right port, and the Pro Mouse in the left port:

User uploaded file

I really do not understand why this might be. Just to rule out another issue, I re-installed the most recent Boot Camp drivers, and this did nothing.

-John

Jun 4, 2015 4:30 PM in response to John-Robert La Porta

I just trotted out my old Magic Mouse to work with my Windows 8.1 laptop, so YMMV.

Following your lead, I went into Device Manager and found my mouse under Mice and other pointing devices. Initially it just showed up as an HID compliant device.

Right click it, go to properties and click Update Driver.

Choose "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick..."

Uncheck "Show compatible hardware", and then you should be able to choose Apple from the Manufacturer column, then the Magic Mouse on the right column.

Next your way through the rest and hopefully everything works normally.

Magic Mouse not working under Windows 7 with Apple Keyboard after Keyboard switch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.