Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Real time automation...easiest method?

Hi,

My apologies for the newbie question. I'm new here. 😁

I want to automate in real time as opposed to drawing in the automation after recording my MIDI tracks. What is the easiest way to do this?

Many thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 8:24 AM

There are no easy or difficult ways, there are just different ways to automate, and I mean the Automation Modes. It depends what you want to do:

Automation Modes: Touch - Latch - Write (plus their variation: Trim - Absolute).

You just select one of the Automation Modes (after making Automation visible) and move the Onscreen Control that you want to automate (Fader, Pan, Sends, etc) while you play back your project.

The bottom line is that you have read a little bit to understand what the options are so you can make the right decision in your case.

I released a free book in my "Graphically Enhanced Manuals" series called "Logic Pro X - Automation" It is based on the latest Logic version 10.1 and explains how Logic's Automation works with lots of easy to understand graphics and diagrams. The iBooks version is an interactive multi-touch iBooks that makes it even easier to learn.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2015 8:24 AM in response to Tangerine_Dream

There are no easy or difficult ways, there are just different ways to automate, and I mean the Automation Modes. It depends what you want to do:

Automation Modes: Touch - Latch - Write (plus their variation: Trim - Absolute).

You just select one of the Automation Modes (after making Automation visible) and move the Onscreen Control that you want to automate (Fader, Pan, Sends, etc) while you play back your project.

The bottom line is that you have read a little bit to understand what the options are so you can make the right decision in your case.

I released a free book in my "Graphically Enhanced Manuals" series called "Logic Pro X - Automation" It is based on the latest Logic version 10.1 and explains how Logic's Automation works with lots of easy to understand graphics and diagrams. The iBooks version is an interactive multi-touch iBooks that makes it even easier to learn.

Hope that helps

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

May 29, 2015 2:31 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi Edgar,

Many thanks for the link to your free Automation download. I went through the entire document and was very impressed with how easy things were to understand based on your graphical representation of ideas for instruction. Everything makes much more sense now with regards to automation within Logic X. Thanks again.

Btw, did you happen to notice my username, 'Tangerine_Dream'? I've been a Tangerine Dream fan, particularly their material when Chris Franke was in the group, for over thirty years...no kidding. My friends, who are also old-school Tangerine Dream fans, call Chris Franke, "The Sequencer King". I don't think a day has gone by where I haven't listened to my favorite soundtrack of all time, 'Thief'. This is, in my opinion, The Dream's best work ever. I read on your bio that you have worked with Chris Franke as well. Very impressive!!!!

One last thing, if you happen to have any tips on how to implement 'ratchet sequencing' within Logic X, please let me know. 😎

Thanks again.

May 29, 2015 10:14 PM in response to Tangerine_Dream

Tangerine_Dream wrote:

Btw, did you happen to notice my username, 'Tangerine_Dream'?

Yes I have noticed.

I started to work with Christopher back in Berlin in the late 80s after he has left Tangerine Dream and started his solo career. He asked me to move with him to Amerika in 91 to work for him exclusively as a sound engineer and producer. So I produced and engineered pretty much all his film and CD project since then and later also worked as a co-composer on numerous projects with him.

As you might imaging, Chris had quite an impressive arsenal of synthesizers, computers, apps, and all kinds of gears and gadgets back then. So I had to read through mountains of manuals when I started to work with him. That's when I began to develop my own style of writing manuals ("Graphically Enhanced Manuals") based on the frustration of so many poorly written books.

Regarding the "ratchet sequencing" style for Logic Pro X. It is a different thing when using analog sequencers. You can reproduce that style easily in the Piano Roll Editor. As you might have noticed, Chris often uses those short 32th note rolls before a downbeat to create those floating sequencer motions. Copy, past, quantize are your friends for that. However, the improvisational part by changing the parameters while playing the sequence has to be done on the synth or the synth plugin itself (or you can use the Arpeggiator or other tools in Logic)

BTW, did you try the new Note Repeat feature in LPX v10.1? You can create some really cool sequencer pattern when used with notes and chords instead of drum patterns.

May 30, 2015 5:14 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi Edgar,

Wow. I've always wondered if Chris Franke and the other members of TD, hooked up (or connected) all of their analog equipment together themselves, or, if they had someone else do it for them? Mind boggling as you can see in this early pic of Franke below.

User uploaded file

With regards to ratchet sequencing and Note Repeater, I looked over the Logic X effects manual and there is only one page devoted to this particular MIDI effect. The page is just a description of the different parameters within Note Repeater. How would I go about finding out more with regards to implementing ratchet sequencing with Logic X's Note Repeater? I would want to do it in real time, so, I would need to assign the Note Repeater to an external controller...ideally, the sustain pedal for my MIDI controller.

Many thanks!

Real time automation...easiest method?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.