Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange sound every 30 mins

Just lately I keep hearing a sound about every 30 mins.

Don't know what it is and never heard it before until recently.

Can only describe it as a "spring" sound.

I've checked out all the system sounds on my Mac but it's none of them.

The only apps I have running are Finder, Chrome, Mail, Messages and iTunes which I've always had so no idea what's making this 'alert' to sound.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 28, 2015 7:13 AM

24 replies

May 28, 2015 8:31 AM in response to Linc Davis

I don't think it's any of my login items. I've always had the same items in the list since having my Mac over 6 months ago.

This is my login list;

User uploaded file

The sound I'm hearing is similar to that of when you drag something out of the recycle bin and onto the desktop.

Not exactly the same, but closest I can think of.

Since posting, there was 60 mins between the sound.

Could what I'm hearing be an alert for newly updated apps?

May 28, 2015 10:03 AM in response to _iShaun

The purpose of this test is to determine whether a program that starts automatically when you log in is causing the problem.

If you turned on Automatic login in the Users & Groups preference pane, turn it off. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you've forgotten the password, you'll have to reset it before continuing.

Select Log Out... from the Apple menu. Enter your login password in the login screen, then hold down the shift key and press return. Only hold the shift key after typing the password (unless the password is all caps.)

Your login items will not load. Test.

May 31, 2015 12:29 PM in response to WZZZ

SyncFolders Pro was recently updated and I thought it was a reminder to tell me that as it still had the blue dot on the app icon.

It isn't that though. The other apps have always been running as well.

It happens every 30mins or 60mins and sounds once but one time it sounded twice, one after the other.

Baffling.

Strange sound every 30 mins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.