Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringtones with iPhone-6

My wife and I replaced our stupid phones with iPhone-6 and the first thing that hit me was that the stupid phone has a capability important to me that the iPhone apparently does not. We get a lot of annoying robocalls so I set up our stupid phones with a desired ring tone for each and every entry in the phone book and the set the default ringtone to "off." That way, our phones would ring if and only if the caller was in the phone book.

As near as I can figure, the only way to turn off ringtones with the iPhone is with the mechanical switch and then no calls will result in a ring. Am I correct or is there a different solution?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 28, 2015 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 6:38 AM

Install and use a silent ringtone as default.

19 replies

May 28, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Create one using iTunes or Garage Band, below is iTunes

. Select a title (.mp3 or .m4a) in your iTunes Music Library

2. Do File > Get Info on selected title

3. In the dialog choose Options tab

4. Set Start Time and End Time (no more than 35 secs otherwise won't work)

5. Close dialog.

6. Now control click the title (right click) and choose Create AAC Version

Note: If you don't have Create AAC version, switch in menu File > Preferences...> General > Import Settings... > Import Using: AAC Encoder.

7. When it is done, drag the newly create title to the desktop.

8. Delete the newly create title in iTunes. <-- This step is important

9. Rename the title on your desktop from ringtone.m4a to ringtone.m4r

10. Drag and drop it into iTunes

Now you have a ringtone.

Make sure it is selected in iTunes > Tones for syncing with your new iPhone.

May 28, 2015 7:13 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

You can actually set the iPhone ringtone to None in Settings>Sounds.

That's the whole problem. That setting does not exist.

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

The other thing you describe, of only having the phone ring from persons in your contact list is how Do Not Disturb works for allowing calls from contacts. The only problem with that is the DND also silences other notifications, such as SMS, mail, etc.

That's why I don't want to use DND. I want this to be the permanent configuration.

Ringtones with iPhone-6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.