Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading RAM for mid 2006 white iMac

I would like to upgrade the RAM in my mid 2006 white iMac, as I would like to also upgrade the OS. Here is what I currently have:

OS X 10.4.11

Processor: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo

Memory: 1GB 667 MHz RAM

Is it possible to upgrade? How many OS upgrades will I be able to do? It looks like Snow Leapord is the next OS upgrade, but will I be able to do more after that?

I know how to use my iMac pretty well but I (obviously) know very little about hardware and upgrading. Am I better off beinging it to an Apple store? I checked the Store on apple.com and there was no memory to buy for my computer. Where could I buy compatible memory?

iMac G5 with iSight, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 28, 2015 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 6:34 AM

The maximum OS on your iMac is Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and max ram is 2GB. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_cd_1.83_17_ig.html

Even with those upgrades you're going to have a seriously out of date iMac. If budget permits you should consider upgrading to a newer machine. You can save some money by looking at refurbs from Apple. They are as good as a brand new Mac and carry a full warranty and the option to buy AppleCare.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2015 6:34 AM in response to zkatrina1017

The maximum OS on your iMac is Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and max ram is 2GB. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_cd_1.83_17_ig.html

Even with those upgrades you're going to have a seriously out of date iMac. If budget permits you should consider upgrading to a newer machine. You can save some money by looking at refurbs from Apple. They are as good as a brand new Mac and carry a full warranty and the option to buy AppleCare.

upgrading RAM for mid 2006 white iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.