Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does a software installation window appear just before shutdown?

Hello Apple Support Community,

When I shutdown my Mac Pro (OS 10.6.8) at the end of a work day, a Installation window briefly appears and disappears before shutdown. It shows for less than a second before display blackout and only at the end of a full work day on the computer. It happens so fast that I can't click it's Yes or Abort buttons. This Installation window has a installation box icon and asks "Continue the installation?" This window appears for a split second before final display blackout (shutdown). I can't find any software on my computer that still requires a installation completion. How can I get rid of this phantom install window that appears at the end of each day?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 28, 2015 7:42 AM

14 replies

May 28, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Starfield14

That's from the Genieo adware. You can follow Apple's manual instructions for removing adware.

It should be noted that Apple's manual removal instructions are typically outdated. Sometimes a lot outdated. It depends on when Apple last updated their instructions page. You can find much more up-to-date instructions on The Safe Mac's adware removal page.

May 28, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Starfield14

You do not have a virus, but you may have some adware that virus software is not going to get rid of

Installing antivirus software is not necessary or needed with OS X and will only make your problems worse as antivirus software running on OS X will negatively affect the normal operation of OS X.

You have gotten great advice from both Eric Root and Kurt Lang, I strongly suggest that you follow it before you do more damage to your Mac's system software.

May 28, 2015 10:00 AM in response to RIFerrarr

Ok, I'll try these recommendations. I' not a programmer and this sounds intimidating but I'll try doing it. I've been using Firefox for a browser, and maybe that's not a good idea anymore. Perhaps Safari offers better control within the OSX environment. My alpha graphics sw keeps me operating in Snow Leopard but that will change later this summer when it's finally rewritten for Yosemite.

May 28, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Starfield14

Currently for OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, up to date FireFox is more secure than Safari.

It's not an issue with the web browser per say, but what sites you visit on those web browsers that can cause you to get adware/malware.

Antivirus software is NOT needed if the Mac you are running is only running OS X. Antivirus apps interfere with normal performance and operation of a Mac because they program too many controls (program extensions) into the main OS X system software impacting/impeding general performance of a Mac.

Here are some of my tidbits of advice on how to avoid viruses/adware/malware in the future, if you encounter adware/malware, again.

Some anti-virus solutions can slow down your Mac, but to be honest, the best anit-virus app is you, the user and your brain.

Don't visit questionable websites or website you are unsure about.

Don't use Torrents or engage in "Torrenting"

Don't install pirated software or software downloaded from a questionable or unknown websites or untrutsted sources.

Java is still a vulnerability concern, if you do not need it, don't use it.

Use a browser filter and pop-up blocker

Don't open email attachments from email addresses that you do not recognize.

Install security updates when they become available

Educate yourself as to what threats are common and active.

In effect, use your own brain as the antivirus filter.

Follow that advise and in MOST cases, you will be fine and won't risk your Mac to potential Trojans, malware or viruses.

If you feel you need some baseline virus protection that is minimally invasive on the Mac OS X system, install

ClamXAV

http://www.clamxav.com/

May 28, 2015 11:28 AM in response to Starfield14

As mentioned, that "shut down" dialogue box is caused by Genieo. You'll continue to see it until you follow the instructions to remove Genieo in either of my links above.

Make sure to follow the removal instructions for Genieo in particular to the letter. Don't skip any steps. Where it says to restart the Mac after doing certain proceeding steps, do it.

The Genieo removal page in particular from my second link above.

May 29, 2015 1:23 AM in response to Starfield14

Starfield14 wrote:

Ok, I'll try these recommendations. I' not a programmer and this sounds intimidating but I'll try doing it.

It's a simple application and does not require any advanced skills. Just click the link Eric gave you to read what it is, click the "Download" button, find it in your Download folder and double-click to unzip it. Now move it to your /Applications folder (or anywhere else) and double-click to launch. Copy and paste the results back here. Easy-Squeezy.

You'll see any problems highlighted in red. If you see any that say Adware Remove then click on that and follow the instructions.

Why does a software installation window appear just before shutdown?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.