Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading hard drive on late 2013 MBP?

I have a Late 2013 15" Retina MBP (P/N A1398) which has a 512 GB SSD. I would like to upgrade the hard drive to a 1 TB SSD in order to have more onboard storage space. Does this model use a standard 2.5" SATA SSD and if so is there any reason why I couldn't / shouldn't order a commodity 1 TB SSD from somewhere such as Newegg / Amazon? Assuming not, once I have the new, larger, drive, what would be the best way to go about transferring all of the existing programs and data from the current drive to the new drive without needing to reinstall any software?

Posted on May 28, 2015 8:15 AM

1 reply

May 28, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Vrtigo1

No, your laptop doesn't use a 2.5" Sata SSD. It uses a proprietary PCI-E SSD. There are none available from third parties and Apple won't sell you one either.

Your only choice is to buy it on ebay. There are new ones on ebay. I believe they are from people who for Apple who can get them as employees.

Many people on other Mac forums have bought them and are satisfied.

BTW, the 1TB will set you back $650-700.

Upgrading hard drive on late 2013 MBP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.