Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help combining my two Apple IDs (both are mine)

At the moment I have two Apple IDs on my iPhone 5s. When iCloud was first introduced, I made the mistake of creating a second Apple ID just to use for iCloud. So here is my current situation:

Apple ID 1

Has all my iTunes and App Store purchases.

Apple ID 2

• Currently being used for iCloud on my iPhone
  • iCloud Drive
  • Photos (iCloud Photo Sharing only - I have some albums shared with people)
  • Contacts
  • Reminders
  • Safari
  • Notes
  • Passbook
  • Backup
  • Keychain
  • Find My iPhone
  • Documents & Data
    • 1Password vault
    • Day One journal
    • Game progress for games currently on my iPhone
    • Game progress for games NOT currently on my iPhone
    • Data for various other apps, some of which say "Encrypted File"

I only want to use only one Apple ID, which will obviously be Apple ID 1 since it has all my purchases. How can I safely move everything associated with Apple ID 2 to Apple ID 1?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 28, 2015 9:04 AM

12 replies

May 28, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Csound1

What if I do these steps?

1. Download all the games and apps that have iCloud saved data on my Apple ID 2.
  2. Make sure the Documents & Data get downloaded from iCloud to those games and apps and stored locally on my iPhone.
  3. Sign out of iCloud (Apple ID 2), and choose Keep on My iPhone when it asks what to do with existing iCloud data.
  4. Sign in to iCloud using Apple ID 1.
  5. Open all games and apps on my iPhone and tell them to use iCloud to save data.

May 28, 2015 9:25 AM in response to gail from maine

The purchases are only tied to Apple ID 1. Apple ID 2 is just for iCloud data. I know all those games and apps have the option to store their data locally. So can't I just open them all up, tell them to store things locally instead of iCloud, sign out of iCloud (Apple ID 2), sign in to iCloud with Apple ID 1, go back to the apps and tell them to save data to iCloud? I don't understand why this wouldn't work.

May 28, 2015 9:27 AM in response to dbird03

Because the apps are locked to the ID used to purchase/download them. Even if you told it to save data to whatever Apple ID you want, when it came time to update the app or if necessary download the app again, it could only be done by the Apple ID used for the purchase. Data means nothing when it comes to the ID used for purchase/download.

Aug 15, 2016 9:42 AM in response to dbird03

Agree, it's really inconvenient and certain to become a real issue at some time in the near future with iOS/OSX updates as Apple continue to stress the importance of having "one" Apple ID. I have researched this issue for the last month and spoke with a number of Apple reps, all of which seem to be unaware. We don't want to merge two Apple IDs, we want to merge the iCloud ID (we were forced to set up when MobileMe was introduced) with our existing Apple ID we have used for purchases. I have not seem any successful work-around to date.

Need help combining my two Apple IDs (both are mine)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.