Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can i do about my iphone 4s he's restarting continue someone has send me 'the effective power'?

What can i do about my iphone 4s he's restarting continue someone has send me 'the effective power'?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.2

Posted on May 28, 2015 10:11 AM

4 replies

May 28, 2015 10:14 AM in response to donaardnei

Hi Donaardnei,

'The Effective Power' message; it's a bug that will be fixed by Apple soon.

To prevent your iPhone from crashing when it's on locked screen simply see those sites down below.

Thanks!

Also try to turn the notifications for Messages and WhatsApp off.

~Cheers

http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/iphone-messages-app-keeps-crashing-heres-fix-0 162167/

May 28, 2015 12:38 PM in response to donaardnei

"A new bug has been discovered in the Messages app, allowing a string of characters sent to a person via iMessage or SMS to crash an iPhone and cause the Messages app to crash after being opened. The bug, which requires a specific string of symbols and Arabic characters to be sent, was first noticed on reddit earlier this afternoon and has been spreading around the Internet since then.

Sending the string of characters to an iPhone results in an immediate respring, causing an iPhone to crash and quickly reboot. From there, if the Messages app was opened at a list view, the Messages app crashes automatically when you try to open it. If it was opened to the conversation where you received the message, the app will open, but attempting to go to another conversation causes Messages to crash."

"How to Fix this Issue

-Sending a reply message may fix the problem.

-If Messages was opened to the conversation list view, the app will crash when you attempt to open it. You can fix this by having someone send you a message or by sending a message to yourself. There are several options for sending a message to yourself, including sending yourself a message via Siri or through the Share sheet in any app such as notes.

-Another method that may work is “sending a photo to the contact via the Photos app can allow them to access the message history and delete the conversation”

-If message was sent in a group message, have someone remove user from the group message and re-add the user.

-if customer is able to get into the effected thread, try holding a bubble>selecting more>select all>trash

-if none of these methods work, restore from a back-up from before the message was received

-if no back up is available, transfer purchases, import photos, screenshot important messages(if possible), erase and set up as new, sync content back.

-If customer have a contact or phone # that is doing this repeatedly, have customer block contact from contacting them.

How to Prevent this Issue

The bug only works when the message has to be abbreviated with ‘…’. This is usually on the lock screen and main menu of Messages.app.

In order to keep customers safe from this bug, you can have them turn off lock screen and banner notifications in the Settings application.

Settings >Notifications>Messages>Turn off ‘Show on Lock Screen’

Also, turn ‘Alert Style When Unlocked’ to ‘None’

The above fix should keep the customer safe until Apple releases the update with the official bug fix."

May 28, 2015 12:48 PM in response to donaardnei

For the people who are stuck in a reboot loop: IF you have a back up or don't care about erasing your phone if you don't have a back up and you use Find my iPhone: Go to icloud.com and log in. Click on Find my iPhone. Click on All Devices on the top of the window. Click on your phone/device. Click Erase and just skip through all the phone number, message stuff. When your phone comes back on you'll get the hello screen and you set it up like when it was new. If you have an iCloud back up from before you got the message that messed your phone up restore from that and you will be fine.

For those who can't get the other things to work:

1. Settings>Messages> Turn iMessage off
2. Use Siri to send a message to yourself and the person who sent you the text. You can also go to photos and pick a photo to send to yourself and the person who sent you the text.
3. Settings>Messages> Turn iMessage back on
4. Go Open Messages and delete the conversation with the text in it.
5. If you still can't open Messages or iMessage won't activate reset your network settings by going to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.
6. Go to Messages and delete the conversation...

That should fix the issue.

Oh, and to avoid it...go to Settings>Notifications> and turn off show on lock screen and show previews.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.