Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on Ipad Air on T-mobile doesn't work

I have a cellular-capable iPad Air running iOS 8.1. When T-mobile had their 200mb per month for free promotion a while back, I jumped at the opportunity and got one of their SIM cards and activated the promotion. I have been using this data since then when I am on the go.

My problem is that Messages/iMessage has never worked while using T-mobile cellular data. I can neither send nor receive messages, but when I am on Wi-fi data, it is fine. Other apps that use data work fine.

Any advice on how to fix this?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1

Posted on May 28, 2015 10:11 AM

1 reply

May 28, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Lariano

I was able to solve my problem by doing this: I went to Settings >> General >> Reset >> Reset Network Settings. Messages has worked fine every since, regardless of whether I am on Wi-Fi or Cellular.

I was able to find the answer to my question in this Apple Support discussion: "Does iMessage work only with Cellular data, without WiFi, on iPad?" posted by GautiIndia on May 12, 2014. I would've posted the HTML link here but my iPad isn't allowing me.

By the way, Apple, if you are reading this, can you please make this Apple Support website more mobile device friendly??!

Messages on Ipad Air on T-mobile doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.