Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to brows files on a linux computer on network with finder ?

I have recently changed the OS of my old PC I made from junk , which I use as a file storage place, and an emergency computer if ever my Mac which is my primary computer is not available at hand. I used to have windows XP on it , but now it is running Linux (Elementary OS Freya) a Ubuntu build that has a similar look and feel to OSX. How do I access this computer now from the finder ? On the ex-windows now linux machine, I can see and access my Mac, but how do I access the Linux machine from my mac , since my mac is a Macbook , and the PC is stationary at home , and its easier to access the PC via the Macbook Pro, since the Macbook pro is a portal computer and not a heavy clunker that sits in the corner like the PC.

I know when the pc ran windows, i would type "smb://" in find server dialogue from finder, is it the same ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on May 28, 2015 8:00 AM

3 replies

May 28, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Zanaelf

If you are running an SMB (or CIFS) file server (typically this is the Samba Open Source utility) on your Linux box, then you do pretty much the same thing.

Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> smb://address.of.linux.box

If your Linux box is not running an SMB server, then it is going to be very difficult to do this from the Finder.

May 28, 2015 12:25 PM in response to BobHarris

Thanks for the help, well no joy... 😟 well have decided to go back to xp because of this issue, and also having problems with the webcam not working properly in linux , need it to check on my cat when I am out and away. I have decided to have two operating systems installed on the machine, since it is better in browsing , file managing on the HDDs and browsing the web safely. But for networking files to mac , and using the cat cam ... its a headache... Though having them both on the one computer, if I am bored and in an art block, its something to keep myself busy with.

How to brows files on a linux computer on network with finder ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.