Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to upgrade a Mac Pro quad core 2.8 (2010/Nehalem) to be able to use an iMac 27-inch, mid 2011 as a target display?

Is there a way to upgrade a Mac Pro quad core 2.8 (2010/Nehalem) to be able to use an iMac 27-inch, mid 2011 as a target display? Can you add a Thunderbolt port to the Mac Pro to make it compatible?

Mac Pro

Posted on May 28, 2015 8:20 AM

6 replies

May 28, 2015 9:27 AM in response to raydra

Hmmm...that's a tricky question. It depends on what video card you have installed in your Mac Pro quad core. Thunderbolt has to be built into the Mac itself-there is no such as an addon card. there are, however , adapters and docks. Thunderbolt plays nicely with Displayport and hdmi. So, you'd have to find a displayport adapter and use that. There are thunderbolt to displayport/vga/hdmi adapters as well, but you cannot plug anything else into your iMac 27" mid-2011 other than Displayport, period

John B

May 28, 2015 8:47 PM in response to lllaass

thank you for pointing out my mistake, sir. I appreciate it. Occasionally I think I am right and I know the answer absolutely, only to look back on what I've written and say " Oh yeah, right. I was wrong ... I think I misinterpreted the question, and I lept in with both feet, when, before posting, I should have made sure I knew what was I talking about and what I understood is what you wrote, if that makes any sense to you.

you are 100% correct on this. Ordinarily, thunderbolt may play nicely with Displayport and HDMI, BUT.... not in TDM (Target Display mode), especially with a 2011 iMac. with earlier ones, maybe, but with this one? no

jb

May 29, 2015 1:02 PM in response to raydra

You can't get a connection fast enough to edit videos, but Screen Sharing can allow you to connect with acceptable mouse tracking for ordinary purposes over Gigabit Ethernet (once it has been enabled on the Mac Pro)

System preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing

I use it to administer my Home Server, to save a trip down to the basement to check on things.

Is there a way to upgrade a Mac Pro quad core 2.8 (2010/Nehalem) to be able to use an iMac 27-inch, mid 2011 as a target display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.