Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I edit my iCloud email address without getting this error message?

I keep getting the error message "You cannot use this email address. Please try again using a different email address."

It's not the same error message as "Email address is already verified for another Apple ID." so why isn't it working?

Thanks

Posted on May 28, 2015 8:35 AM

6 replies

May 28, 2015 8:52 AM in response to melissa-b

I assume you are talking about the non-Apple email address which forms your ID/login? (rather than the @icloud.com address). You can change this to another non-Apple address which isn't associated with another Apple ID, but you can't change it an @icloud.com, @me.com or @mac.com address. Is that what you are trying to do? - if not, please explain in more detail (but don't post any actual email address).

May 28, 2015 9:12 AM in response to melissa-b

Once you have created an iCloud account and chosen an @icloud.com address to go with it you can't change the address (short of creating an entirely new account).

However, all is not lost. You can add up to three 'email aliases' - these are additional addresses (not accounts) which deliver into the same inbox as the main account. (In fact it's a good idea to give out alias addresses, rather than the main address, because if they attract spam you can easily change them.)

You should be aware before you start that once you've created an alias you cannot turn that address into a full iCloud account or move it to another account.

More information on aliases here: http://help.apple.com/icloud/#mm6b1a490a

May 28, 2015 9:19 AM in response to melissa-b

You can sign out of your present account and sign into a new one, but you will have to transfer any synced data manually, which can be a pain. Frankly I wouldn't - I'd use the alias. It works perfectly well, and then you have both versions of the address - so that if anyone is still using the old one you would get their messages. You can set iCloud mail online and the Mail application to use the alias as the 'From' address when sending.

How do I edit my iCloud email address without getting this error message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.