Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop music player from defaulting to "repeat on"

I rarely use the repeat song/album/etc. function when playing music on my iPhone (v6, iOS 8), but every. single. time. I open a song or a playlist or an album, repeat is toggled on. Is there any way to make this stop unless I specifically ASK for the repeat function?

Thanks!
Jake

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 28, 2015 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2016 12:09 PM

This very annoying feature turns back on for me with every update, reboot or restart of the Music app. I really wish Apple would change the defaut to no repeat, who would prefer to play an album over and over? I'm sure they did some study that indicates as such but I'm guessing those people listen to streaming services anyway!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2016 12:09 PM in response to sink

This very annoying feature turns back on for me with every update, reboot or restart of the Music app. I really wish Apple would change the defaut to no repeat, who would prefer to play an album over and over? I'm sure they did some study that indicates as such but I'm guessing those people listen to streaming services anyway!

May 12, 2017 2:25 AM in response to shinynew

Thanks for the best reply I found and you made it easier than all the other ones I saw,very annoying as could not find the repeat opption after doing the apple advise updates until I saw your swipe up again once you swipe up once on the cover as before I was only swiping up from bottom of screen then getting just the light and other things but not the up next etc etc,cheers once again.

May 28, 2015 8:35 AM in response to sink

While the repeat function appears to be on a per song basis, it is actually turned on through out the library when you activate it (i.e. turn it on for one song or album, it is on for all).

Otherwise, turn it off, then try a forced restart: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the restart.

Feb 29, 2016 7:17 AM in response to sink

Apple updates iTunes enough, it's often difficult to find where they've hidden something under their new "improvements". I read about 20 suggestions on how to get the "repeat" to stop, but people used vague references like "turn off the repeat option"...not much help if you have no idea where the repeat option is and your iTunes is setup where it doesn't display the "repeat" option.

Soooo, taken step by step:

1) Open iTunes.

2) Click on "Library" or "Playlist" at top of the screen.

3) Choose a song to play.

4) When the song starts playing, you may see the cover art or the list of songs in the album for that song.

4) At the bottom of the screen (above "My Music, For You, New, Radio, and @Connect) there is a "pause button" on the left and the name of the current song being played.

5) Swipe UP on that info bar and it will display a larger image of the Album Art, Title, and the "Rewind, Pause, FF" buttons.

6) Along the bottom of the individual song/album art are the Repeat and Don't Repeat Button options in the middle of that bar. Two bars with arrows that crisscross each other is the REPEAT Option and Two lines running side by side with the arrows pointing in opposite directions is the play the song end to end w/o repeats. Whatever you choose is applied to the entire library.

IF you don't know there are SWIPE UPS it's hard to find the right screen to make the changes. Apparently it's a rarely used options since Apple has moved it off the front page it used to be on and put it in an obscure location that's difficult to find.

To get out of the individual song view, there is small down arrow in the top left corner of the screen to get you back to "My Music".

EZ right. haha

Stop music player from defaulting to "repeat on"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.