Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing status light/can't mount on iTunes

I have an AppleTV 2nd generation. Purchased 02/2011--AppleCare expired. Today the status light is flashing and I can't get to main menu. I plugged and unplugged it. I removed and reconnected the HDMI cable. All I get is the Apple logo. I tried resetting from the remote--no luck. Status light flashes rapidly, got "no signal" box on TV screen, then returns to slower flash and back to Apple logo. I tried attaching the unit to my computer and iTunes. The instructions said to use a micro-USB cable which I did not think I had. Then I read on one of these discussions boards that this is the cable that comes with a camera, so mine fit and I used that. But the AppleTV does not mount on iTunes. I am assuming it should do so like my iPhone and iPad. Correct? Any advice would be appreciated. Is it time for a new AppleTV?

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on May 28, 2015 9:22 AM

3 replies

May 28, 2015 12:38 PM in response to LHM

If your Apple TV fails to restore through iTunes……..

• Check that you have correctly followed the instructions for your model of Apple TV.
  • If not already, try using a powered USB port.
  • Repeat the process but this time try connecting the cable while iTunes is closed.
  • Repeat the process with another cable.
  • Try restoring the Apple TV on another computer in another location.

May 31, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks Winston, but no luck. I tried all of the above. I know the cable is connecting to computer as the status light on AppleTV is flashing when connected. But no show on iTunes. All I get when connected to TV is the Apple logo--the one you usually see when updating. It is not the picture of an AppleTV, USB cable, and iTunes logo. I used two different cables--both came with cameras. I wonder if there is something different about these cables than other micro-USB cables?

Flashing status light/can't mount on iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.