Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any ideas on working around a locked keychain on 2009 iMac?

Keychain will not unlock login after password is entered. The gear just spins but nothing. I ran Disk Utility, verified and repaired. Then reinstalled Yosemite from recovery, to be sure. Same thing. Apple support advisor said my only option was wipe the disk and then do a complete reinstall. Is there any way around the keychain and retreve some data files before the disk erase? I had just added a good deal of irreplacable information that had not been backed up before the lock out. I could not find a similar question on any other communities.

Anyone have any knowledge of this kind of trouble? I'm at the end of my knowledge base with this.

I would really appreciate any ideas that might help with this. Thank You.

Utility Log report had two errors that stood out as related to keychain I did not understand:

-OSIESpringboard. [404]: can not connect to var/run systemkeychaincheck.socket: no such file or directory.Failed to unlock keychain.

-OSIESpringboard. [404]: Get DVLDEntryPointWithImage.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Late 2009 20" intel dual

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:38 AM

3 replies

May 28, 2015 1:10 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Thank you for posting the keychain instructions for my lock out. I had not seen either of these in looking for information.

the problem with my lock is I cannot get in to make changes on the keychain. I am having to communicate and search with no applications or way of accessing

their functions. All I have is Disk Utility and a wi-fi connection to the outside. I did use an old Snow Leopard install disc and was able from the install window to reset the user and keychain password, but it does me no good as I cannot manipulate the keychain any other way unless I am logged in. The password, thru install disc is all I have access to and only thru Snow Leopard's install. I have called a computer tech business to ask if they could get into my HD from another computer in target mode. I must have picked the wrong one first because they were not much interested in doing the job, or trying to do it. I will research and call someone else until I find one who wants a challenge. I am not even sure that the folders/files in my Users home folder can be rescued by an out side probe, do you know any thing about this?

Thanks again for the information, it will help me to learn more on taking care of my Mac at home.

Take Care and thanks again

Truitt

May 28, 2015 1:40 PM in response to leetruitt

Your log extract is too incomplete, and it seems to have been typed rather than copied.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Any ideas on working around a locked keychain on 2009 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.