Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manage pictures on home network

I am looking for a way to store pictures on a home network and be able to manage them from multiple computers and view from multiple devices. I went to the apple store and they did not have solution, appears if its stored on time capsule it will not store the tags or folders. Which if I understood, if i go in on computer A and tag pictures or create folders, it will undo this when stored on time capsule or viewed from computer B. I am not interested in iCloud since its like signing up for a monthly charge for ever, also understand it will have same issue of losing management features. I guess i am looking for a shared drive for multiple computers that will store tag or folders. Any help or positive advice would be appreciated?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 28, 2015 9:43 AM

3 replies

May 28, 2015 10:06 AM in response to williamneedshelp2

Any help or positive advice would be appreciated?

No positive advice, sorry. Photos libraries are not supported on a network drive. The only advise Apple has ever given to share a library locally is the sneaker drive. Put the library on a portable externaal drive and and plug it into the computer where you want to use it.

See: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Many users have tried to put the library on a NAS, and it may work for some time, but it may cause a library corruption and data loss because of the wrong file system and synchronisation errors.

I would not risk this with my photos.

Manage pictures on home network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.