Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappearing iMessage

This morning my husband and I were texting. He sent me a message + I responded to it appropriately. THe next message I got back from him was "wait, what?" I called him and he seemed to have no idea what message I was talking about. Curious, I went back to my inbox to make sure I read the message correctly and the MESSAGE WAS GONE!

I suspected he was playing a dirty trick on me because he recently sent me the "effective" message thing that restarts your phone. When I asked him how he did it, he said he never sent me a message like that. So now, I'm stuck looking like a complete fool + my husband acts as though he thinks I'm cheating on him.....

My question is this: Is there some way to send a self-destructing imessage that isn't the video/audio option. OR some new hack to delete imessages from someone elses phone. I really hope there is a logical answer to this...otherwise, I just feel crazy!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:35 AM

11 replies

May 28, 2015 11:52 AM in response to gail from maine

I didn't think so.

It's not that he didn't get the message I sent him. I got a message from him. I responded to it. His response back to me was "wait, what?" because he didn't understand what I was referencing....

The issue is that I got a message FROM him that he claims to not have sent TO me. And when I went back to prove that I did indeed get said message, it was no longer there.

And yes, when I say inbox, I mean my message thread with him.

May 28, 2015 12:23 PM in response to CuriousTish

Oh, I get it now.... 🙂

So, are you running any 3rd party apps on your device that could be causing issues with messages?

And the Messages app that you ran into issues with is Messages, not another 3rd party messages app, correct?

Just to make sure, your phone is not jailbroken, correct?

You can reset your device (nothing will be lost): Hold down the Home and Power buttons at the same time and continue to hold them down until the Apple appears (up to 30 seconds). Once the reset is complete, the Slide to Unlock screen will redisplay. That may prevent any weirdness from continuing.

At this juncture, if that was the only strange thing you have observed, there is not much else you can do to pinpoint exactly what happened.

Let us know what your answers are to the questions above, and we will see if there is any cause for concern there.

Best of luck,

GB

May 28, 2015 1:25 PM in response to gail from maine

No. I only use the native messaging app for the phone.

I just reset the phone and nothing changed....the message still is not there.

I don't know at this point. I KNOW what I saw....but what I saw is no longer there...I don't even think I care anymore lol.

If you guys come up with anything please let me know. I can't be the only person in the world who this has happened to lol.

May 28, 2015 4:30 PM in response to CuriousTish

"A new bug has been discovered in the Messages app, allowing a string of characters sent to a person via iMessage or SMS to crash an iPhone and cause the Messages app to crash after being opened. The bug, which requires a specific string of symbols and Arabic characters to be sent, was first noticed on reddit earlier this afternoon and has been spreading around the Internet since then.

Sending the string of characters to an iPhone results in an immediate respring, causing an iPhone to crash and quickly reboot. From there, if the Messages app was opened at a list view, the Messages app crashes automatically when you try to open it. If it was opened to the conversation where you received the message, the app will open, but attempting to go to another conversation causes Messages to crash."

How to Fix this Issue

-Sending a reply message may fix the problem.

-If Messages was opened to the conversation list view, the app will crash when you attempt to open it. You can fix this by having someone send you a message or by sending a message to yourself. There are several options for sending a message to yourself, including sending yourself a message via Siri or through the Share sheet in any app such as notes.

-Another method that may work is “sending a photo to the contact via the Photos app can allow them to access the message history and delete the conversation”

-If message was sent in a group message, have someone remove user from the group message and re-add the user.

-if customer is able to get into the effected thread, try holding a bubble>selecting more>select all>trash

-if none of these methods work, restore from a back-up from before the message was received

-if no back up is available, transfer purchases, import photos, screenshot important messages(if possible), erase and set up as new, sync content back.

-If customer have a contact or phone # that is doing this repeatedly, have customer block contact from contacting them.

How to Prevent this Issue

The bug only works when the message has to be abbreviated with ‘…’. This is usually on the lock screen and main menu of Messages.app.

In order to keep customers safe from this bug, you can have them turn off lock screen and banner notifications in the Settings application.

Settings >Notifications>Messages>Turn off ‘Show on Lock Screen’

Also, turn ‘Alert Style When Unlocked’ to ‘None’

The above fix should keep the customer safe until Apple releases the update with the official bug fix.

May 28, 2015 6:58 PM in response to CuriousTish

I'm curious about this too. My iPhone crashed and rebooted itself earlier today, yet there is no message with that particular buggy strand of text in my inbox. I don't know if the message deleted itself or if the notification was sent from a different app. This is the first time my phone has done this, so it seems like too much of a coincidence to have been caused by something other than this bug. It's both frustrating and confusing not being able to pinpoint the root cause.

Disappearing iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.