Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Huffpost, Wired, other sites endlessly refreshing?

When I go to the Huffington Post website or the Wired website, Safari kind of freaks out, endlessly refreshing the page. On Huffpost it happens so fast that nothing is ever loaded. Have I got some kind of malware? How to get rid of it without totally resetting Safari and losing all my passwords/autologins/etc?

Thanks

Bob

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on May 28, 2015 10:24 AM

3 replies

May 28, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Bob Sabiston

1. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn all extension off, relaunch Safari and test.

Turn those on one by one and test.

2. Safari > Preferences > Search > Search Engine :

Select your preferred search engine.

3. Use free AdwareMedic to remove adware

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit AdwareMedic.

or

Remove the adware manually by following the “HowTo” from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

May 28, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Bob Sabiston

Bob Sabiston wrote:

When I go to the Huffington Post website or the Wired website, Safari kind of freaks out, endlessly refreshing the page. On Huffpost it happens so fast that nothing is ever loaded. Have I got some kind of malware? How to get rid of it without totally resetting Safari and losing all my passwords/autologins/etc?

Thanks

Bob

If you don't use top-sites - or use them but have not cleaned them up - do so -- top sites are all refreshed if changed whenever you open Safari 😠

As some times I guess the refresh did not work - Apple fixed it (did see it somewhere as why isn't yosemite refreshing so it could be an on off bug thing) anyway had terrible problems with home page etc until I did some detective work & looked at top sites (I never used them and didn't have a problem until) where sites I used more than once or twice had been added and had been after some fix refreshing themselves/ Once I edited out all top sites - no problem -- but had to keep an eye on them because sites would get added.

Resetting top sites resets to some defaults - if you don't want them edit them out -- editing out existing sites adds them to a Plist as never ever make this a top site - and if you reset you also lose that list.

I suppose the point of top sites refresh is great if you only go to a few sites that do change a lot (say you are a news or weather person) but for web shoppers and surfers the auto refresh/auto add can be a major pain.

Huffpost, Wired, other sites endlessly refreshing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.