Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receiving and sending duplicate texts randomly

Receiving Text

Since last week I have randomly been receiving duplicate text messages. All have been from iphones but different carriers.

Sending Text

When a text is sent, it says that it hasn't gone through but the receiver gets it twice, sometimes more. Not all texts are duplicated, it seems to happen randomly. All have been from iphones but different carriers.

Trouble shooting that I"ve tried that has not worked.

Powering off, powering on.

Resetting network settings.

Powering off, dusting sim card, powering back on.

Backing up iphone, wiping everything off my iphone, restoring from the back up.

Anyone else having these issues? Any suggestions? My iphone 5s is up-to-date.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:45 AM

2 replies

May 28, 2015 12:17 PM in response to gcsurfishingirl

Sounds like an iMessage issue. When you're unreachable through iMessage some devices will revert to sending a straight up text message. Refer to this article for resolving iMessage issues:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

And as far as you sending duplicate messages I would suggest turning off "Send as SMS" in Settings > Messages

Receiving and sending duplicate texts randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.