Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro mid 2009 grey screen and wont recognize HD after upgrade

Hello,

I have a 13 inch, mid 2009 macbook pro unibody

I recently replaced the battery and upgraded the ram without a hitch.

I also ordered a SSD to replace the stock HDD.

When I intalled the new SSD, the computer would not recognize the drive, I swapped the HDD back in, and that worked fine, but now I cannot get the computer to recognize EITHER drive. I read that the SATA cable goes bad all the time in this computer, so I bought a new one. No change. I have the OSX install disk in the drive, which works fine and I have used before, but am unable to boot from it by holding c at startup. Also, when I hold "option" at startup, the only thing that shows up is "Mac OSX Install Disk", and when I press enter or double click it, the drive starts spinning audibly but the computer freezes, and stays frozen, no matter how long I wait or what buttons I press.

I do not have another mac to help me troubleshoot this issue.

I do not need any of the contents of the old HDD.

I just need the computer to recognize my new SSD with my new SATA cable so that I can install OSX and be on my way.

Thank you wizards in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on May 28, 2015 1:17 PM

7 replies

May 28, 2015 1:56 PM in response to cannontrade

Install the original HDD in an enclosure and connect it to the MBP via USB. Use startup manager and see if you can boot the MBP:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204417

If successful, it indicates that the internal SATA connection is faulty. You replacement cable may have been bad out of the box.

An appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a FREE definitive evaluation would be your best option.

Ciao.

May 28, 2015 2:08 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

For some reason I assumed an external enclosure would set me back more than I was willing to spend. WRONG.

Just bought one on Amazon for $7.99, it'll be here tomorrow. I'll check back after I try that.

I did make an appointment at the genius bar, and they told me my macbook pro was too old (>5 years) and they were no longer able to help me with it.

He did plug it into and boot from their network and said the HD was not visible, so it must be the cable, but that was before I replaced it.

Also, when I replaced the cable, I was unable to connect the IR sensor. Is this a problem?

Thanks

macbook pro mid 2009 grey screen and wont recognize HD after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.