Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Occaisional slow wi-fi

Hi all,

I've been experiencing a sporadic problem on my iphone 5s for several months. The problem is most noticeable while browsing Facebook (via the app) and can then be replicated in a browser or other apps.

Every now and then while browsing through the FB, the app will hang - I'll see the spinning circle - indicating it's trying to load the next activity. If I leave it sometimes it will recover after a minute or so and other times will just time out. When this happens, I will start noticing connectivity issues in other apps as well. If I go to the Google app and try to do a search, it will timeout and I won't get any results. If I try to load a page in a web browser, Chrome or Safari, both will time out. At the same time that this happening I'll have Netflix streaming on my laptop and other video streaming on my Roku without any issues. I took the phone into the Apple store and they replaced the phone for me, however the replacement phone is still doing the same thing.

Connection details are as follows:

Charter internet - 100 Mbps connection (wired directly to the cable modem)

Asus RT-87U Gigabit Wi-fi router (usually get 25-0 MBps over wifi)

I initially had my wifi router in the basement along with the cable modem. Thinking that perhaps the issue was with the distance, I bought a powerline Ethernet adapter and moved the wifi router to the main floor. That hasn't helped.

I'm not sure what else to look at this point since Apple has replaced my iPhone and I don't see the problem on my laptop or Roku. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you,

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:04 AM

1 reply

May 28, 2015 11:08 AM in response to farengi

If you use the Speedtest app on the phone, what kind of download/upload speeds are you seeing. You talk about streaming Netflix at he same time, I wonder what bandwidth you are seeing going to the router. If I try doing some things on too many devices at home, especially if my daughter is streaming Netflix, I will see a slowdown, but that is reflected by the Speedtest app.

Occaisional slow wi-fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.