Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I backup applications from my iMac to an external hard drive as I plan to get a new iMac soon.

I want to get a new iMac but I don't want to lose applications that I purchased. How do I back up applications from my iMac (early 2009) to my external hard drive?

Does Time Machine backup applications?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 28, 2015 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 1:00 PM

Yes, Time Machine backs up EVERYTHING. Most applications restore or migrate perfectly however there are a few such as MS Office of Mac that sometimes do not and require a download. This is only a minor inconvenience if you have your activation codes.

When you turn on any Mac for the first time it asks if you are migrating from another Mac, select yes, connect the old machine TM drive and let it migrate. It's that easy.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Jessten

Yes, Time Machine backs up EVERYTHING. Most applications restore or migrate perfectly however there are a few such as MS Office of Mac that sometimes do not and require a download. This is only a minor inconvenience if you have your activation codes.

When you turn on any Mac for the first time it asks if you are migrating from another Mac, select yes, connect the old machine TM drive and let it migrate. It's that easy.

How do I backup applications from my iMac to an external hard drive as I plan to get a new iMac soon.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.