Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps Stuck Updating for Weeks (8.3)

I have three apps on my phone that have been stuck updating (loading) for weeks. I've read dozens of threads and articles on this topic to no avail. Things I've tried:

deleting the apps (they won't delete), going into General/Usage and deleting them (they won't delete) rebooting the phone, signing out of the App Store, going into the app store and restarting the updates, downloading another app to see if they'll start, syncing my phone and clearing out some space. Is there anyway to complete these updates or get these apps off my phone?

Posted on May 28, 2015 1:34 PM

1 reply

May 29, 2015 8:23 AM in response to GrapeApe650

I have this issue as well. Specifically and ironically, the Apple Pages app which is quite large.

The name of the app as shown on the home screen is shown as "Loading..." with the wireframe icon and 66% loaded pie chart progress. If I go to the app store, the Pages app progress shows as the "stop" icon with a fully loaded circle around it. If I "stop" it, it goes back to the cloud icon. If I restart the update, it progresses all the way to full circle, then stays there forever. This has been the case now for weeks.

My phone will now crash (black screen, white apple logo) almost every time there is a batch of app updates. I've turned off auto-update because I'd rather expect the crash than have it happen when I am trying to use the device!

I have noticed that this wireframe icon for Pages (though the phone thinks the app is called "") is registered for certain actions, such as opening a DOCX file, and "" is in the Settings list, giving me the option to "ALLOW (NULL) TO ACCESS" with Use Cellular Data switch.

I have tried Reset All Settings, which was a big pain, and did not resolve the issue. I recognize that a full restore as a new phone would likely fix the issue, but I don't want to go through all that if I don't have to spend the time!

Apps Stuck Updating for Weeks (8.3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.