Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 27 late 2012 how disable fusion drive

Imac 27 late 2012 os x Yosemite 10.10.3

I recently changed the hdd for a 500 gb ssd. My question is how can I disable the fusion drive, in order to have the new ssd as a boot disk and use the original gb ssd as a disk or separate unit.

Thank you for your help

(Sorry my bad english)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:37 AM

Your fusion drive is already disabled. If you replaced the internal HD for a SSD then you broke the connection between to the original SSD and the original internal HD.

What you should have done is create a bootable clone of your fusion drive prior to installing the SSD and then when you installed the new SSD you could have booted off the clone, formatted the new SSD and then do a restore from the clone to the new SSD. Once that was up, then you could have erased the original SSD.

What you have now is a basically a mess, I'd recommend starting over again.

BTW, to create the bootable clone you will need either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and an external HD.

Good luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2015 11:37 AM in response to franciscojzuniga

Your fusion drive is already disabled. If you replaced the internal HD for a SSD then you broke the connection between to the original SSD and the original internal HD.

What you should have done is create a bootable clone of your fusion drive prior to installing the SSD and then when you installed the new SSD you could have booted off the clone, formatted the new SSD and then do a restore from the clone to the new SSD. Once that was up, then you could have erased the original SSD.

What you have now is a basically a mess, I'd recommend starting over again.

BTW, to create the bootable clone you will need either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and an external HD.

Good luck.

May 28, 2015 1:41 PM in response to franciscojzuniga

Start up in Internet Recovery mode by holding down the key combination command-option-R at the startup chime. Release the keys when you see a spinning globe.

Note: You need an always-on Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet to use Recovery. It won’t work with USB or PPPoE modems, or with proxy servers, or with networks that require a certificate for authentication.

When the OS X Utilities window appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar at the top of the screen—not from any of the items in the OS X Utilities window.

Follow the procedure in this thread to split up the Fusion Drive. The long string of letters, numbers, and dashes that you will have to enter will be different in your case. Copy and paste it from the Terminal window into the command.

This operation will remove all data from the Fusion Drive, so you had better be sure of your backups.

Imac 27 late 2012 how disable fusion drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.