Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth keyboard/iMac connection too slow

I turned off Bluetooth this morning for reasons I can't remember. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the connection again, so I couldn't use my wireless keyboard with my iMac. I called Apple for help. They couldn't help, so we both decided that I would have to take my computer in for repairs. Later, I started using my iPad, and it occurred to me to check on the Bluetooth connection by trying to use my wireless keyboard with it. It worked. I then tried again to use the wireless keyboard with my iMac, and it worked.

I don't think you can consider this normal. What are some reasons for the long delay in getting my wireless keyboard to connect with my iMac? Incidentally, to avoid this kind of problem in the future, I just ordered a cheap wired keyboard from Amazon. That will be my failsafe, but I'd still like to know why I would have this problem.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 28, 2015 12:03 PM

9 replies

May 28, 2015 1:07 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

Niku,

Please read Apple's Troubleshooting wireless mouse and keyboard issues - Apple Support

———-

Thanks for the link. I went through the instructions contained therein and discovered a few things, but I couldn't find a reason for the problem that I have mentioned. For a moment, I thought that that "Single User Mode" business at the end would clarify things, but I got nothng out of it. I followed the instructions and got white letters on a black screen, and I then restarted the computer, after which I hit the RETURN button, but I have no idea what that accomplished, if anything. Maybe the results would have been evident if my keyboard had NOT been connected to my iMac, but it was. Anyway, in case I haven't been clear enough, my keyboard is again connected to my iMac with Bluetooth. Why there was that period when it wasn't and I couldn't get it to connect, I have no idea. However, with the wired keyboard that I will be receiving shortly, I won't have to waste another morning trying to figure out what is ailing my comuter.

May 31, 2015 7:28 AM in response to rkaufmann87

It happened again, just now. I lost the Bluetooth connection to my keyboard. I then remembered that it seemed that the problem went away when I turned off my iPad (I had left it on for charging). However, I still couldn't connect my keyboard to my iMac. Finally, with no prodding of any kind from me, the screen said to type a series of numbers. I did, and I got my keyboard conection back. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm really glad that I ordered a corded keyboard, It should be here in a few days, and I won't have to worry about things like this happening again. It's funny, though, that I haven't had this problem before, at least not more than very rarely, so rarely that I had forgotten about those instances. It can't be the keyboard batteries: they're new. Also, where is the "keyboard battery indictor" that I've read about? I can't find anythng like that on/in my iMac. That new keyboard can't get here soon enough.

May 31, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Niku

Niku wrote:

where is the "keyboard battery indictor" that I've read about? I can't find anythng like that on/in my iMac.

Click on the Bluetooth icon in the bar at the top right of your display.

Then hold your mouse over the Keyboard name under "Devices" (which already shows general battery level) in the menu that appears - it will show you the keyboard battery percentage. 🙂

Bluetooth keyboard/iMac connection too slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.