Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Keychain: What if I don't have an SMS phone?

Setting up an iPad Mini 2 Wi-Fi + cellular and am wondering about the Keychain verification phone number requested. I don't normally use a cell phone or texting when I do - the phone is off 99% of the time. And when travelling abroad, my number will change with the country (and SIM card). The instructions say that it can also be someone I trust. Trust with what, and in what circumstances? I doubt contacting someone 5,000-10,000 miles away is going to be of much help, no matter whose number I put in there. The verification phone number doesn't seem to want to take blank for an answer. Please clarify, as my search didn't find an answer. Thanks,

iPad Mini, iOS 8, null

Posted on May 28, 2015 12:03 PM

10 replies

May 28, 2015 12:20 PM in response to highstream

look here iCloud Keychain availability by country - Apple Support

if you are in one of the countries listed, you must use the SMS verification system.

I don't know if this would work, but you could try getting a free google voice account and number and use it for the verification code. You could then read the SMS in a web browser once signed in to your google voice account.

IF you do use your phone, note that you only need the code to set up keychain and would only need it again if you restore your device and had to set it up again. Once you have it set up, verified and working, you won't be getting SMS codes often, if ever again for that device. I have iCloud keychain on my wifi only iPad and I only remember needing a verification code once, to set it up Initially. You should only need a code again if there is a problem, or you get a new device, or have to completely restore your device.

May 28, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Michael Black

Perhaps I misunderstood something I read, so let me ask a more basic question: do I even need Keychain? I don't have any other Apple devices, and don't really need to sync secure information with my Windows desktop. My interest is having access to and safekeeping of passwords, etc., for use with the Mini. Does iCloud itself do that? If so, then I can forget about Keychain. Thanks,

May 28, 2015 1:04 PM in response to highstream

[don't see my reply here]. Perhaps I've misunderstood the point of Keychain, so let me ask a basic question: do I need it? My interest is having a place to store secure items, such as passwords, account numbers, etc. Does iCloud alone do that? Otherwise, I don't have any other Apple/iOS products to sync and don't really need to sync anything secure with my Windows desktop, if Keychain even does that. Thanks,

May 28, 2015 2:45 PM in response to highstream

No, you do not need iCloud to safely store your passwords on your device. The keychain feature is to keep the passwords in sync across all of your devices if they are signed into iCloud. There are password manager apps in the App Store that you can store passords in. Look for one of those that best suits your needs. I have an app called 1Key.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1key-pro-secure-password-manager/id599237591?mt= 8

May 28, 2015 3:16 PM in response to highstream

iCloud keychain primarily works with Safari, on any Apple product. So it is nice for auto-filling passwords on web sites and for keeping all your passwords sync'd across all your Apple devices. However, as Demo says, if you just need a good secure password app for a single device there are several good ones in the App Store. I use mSecure and had it before there was an iCloud keychain option. mSecure will store and sync across devices via iCloud as well but it's also a standalone app on your device.

one additional advantage of some of the apps is they encrypt more than just passwords - also notes and such, or let you include notes with a website password (e.g. answers to your security questions for the site).

May 28, 2015 3:30 PM in response to highstream

Edit: seems I was assuming you were a Mac user, not an iOS user, apologies for any confusion caused.

You don't need to move your data form the Mac Keychain. Keychain Access is a secure built in method for managing passwords, there is no need for a third party password manager. All you need to do is disable the iCloud syncing feature.

That will mean all passwords are saved locally in a secure encrypted form. Keychain also works with built in apps (Mail, Safari, Messages etc) and third party ones, so every time you agree to save a password it is added to the keychain.

I can't help with how you change from iCloud to a local keychain, but it seems to me that there is no need for you to abandon it altogether, just the iCloud syncing seems pointless for you.

See the iCloud keychain help Get help using iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

May 28, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Drew Reece

My concern with iCloud Keychain is that it's tied to SMS, which for me is a no-go (pick your extreme analogy). Yes, I'd like another way that doesn't involve a formal password manager - been using a combo of Opera's and archived email to keep track for many years. So if there's another way with the Mini, great. I don't have time to study it now, but this article seems useful: http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/13/how-to-see-the-names-passwords-and-credit-car ds-safari-saves/. In any case, this is my first day with the Mini and so I've got all summer before the plane takes off to figure it out. thanks,

May 28, 2015 5:04 PM in response to highstream

You can disregard my post - I was thinking you were on a Mac. iOS has it's own keychain, but the access to the items is reduced compared to Mac OS, it isn't as useful as the app on the Mac (managing your items is difficult/ impossible). iCloud keychain seems pointless if you only have one device (IMO).

The article you linked is for Mac OS, so that is no use on iOS. 1Password seems to get good reviews, but you should probably look around or wait until you are familiar with the device & your needs.

http://agilebits.com/

iCloud Keychain: What if I don't have an SMS phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.