Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally Deleted My ID Located Under "Favorites" On My Hard Drive

Is there a way to restore it?

Thanks,

MB

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 28, 2015 1:01 PM

5 replies

May 31, 2015 9:45 AM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden,

Thank you very much for your response, I really appreciate it!

What I'm referring to is when you open the Hard Drive (or Finder window) with the "Sidebar" displayed. Under "Favorites" (I'm sure you know this, but in an effort to hopefully clarify?), there are a number of selections you can make, like "All My Files", "iCloud", " "Airdrop", "Desktop", "Applications" etc. One of those selections was a folder, denoted by the "Home" icon" with my name as the name of the folder. In an attempt to copy that folder to my external Hard Drive (WD MY PASSPORT for Mac), I dragged the folder from my Hard Drive, over to the window I had opened with my external Hard Drive and instead of copying it to the EHD (i.e. the MY PASSPORT section), I dragged it to the section that appears above that, which essentially replicates (or is?), the same as my Mac Hard Drive. When I did that, the file disappeared in a "puff of smoke" and I can't find it anywhere.

I was able to make a copy of all my files and created a folder in the Hard Drive/Finder sidebar, but I don't have a "Download" folder and when I download a file using Safari, it's nowhere to be found. The only way I can get access to it is to keep it in the Safari Download.

I've likely made this even more confusing, but I'd appreciate it if you have any ideas of how I can either recover the file/folder, or do a better job recreating it.

Thank you and regards,

MB

Jun 1, 2015 9:37 AM in response to markwmsn

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it!

When I'm looking at the "Sidebar", here's what I see:

User uploaded file

The folder entitled "My User Folder" is a folder that I moved from my External Hard Drive that has all of my files, except the "Downloads" file. The file that I deleted was the file that had the "House" icon which contained all my files including "Downloads". BTW, as you can see, the "Download" folder is also missing from the "Sidebar".

I just tried creating a new "User". I thought that I might be able to copy the folder with the "House" icon and the "Downloads" folder over to my ID, but the file with the "House" icon wasn't there and when I tried to copy the "Downloads" file over to my EHD, the file disappeared in a "puff of smoke" just like my original user file did?

Do you, or does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thank you and regards,

MB

Jun 1, 2015 9:54 AM in response to Midnight Blues

You're not going to believe this, well, at least I don't... Being on the downside of my 50s, suffice it to say that I'm not a real technical person. While is was creating the screenshot, I went to export it to iPhoto so I could make some modifications and one of the options was to save the file to my folder that had the "House" icon. In order to access the folder, you press the "Up Arrow" key, the "Command" key and the "H" key simultaneously. So, I did that after having saved it to iPhoto and a window appeared with my folder containing the "House" icon. I dragged the "House" icon over to the "Sidebar" and the file is now there!

Unbelievable!!!!!

Thank you again Brenden and Mark for your replies, they are much appreciated!!!!!
MB

Accidentally Deleted My ID Located Under "Favorites" On My Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.