Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32 bit plugs B4 II

Hi to all those who have lost the use of the best bit of software (in my humble opinion) produced by Native Instruments => B4 II Hammond organ plugin.

If you have updated to LogicPro 10 or MainStage 3 then your favorite 32 bit plugs will have vanished as the above mentioned software is now ONLY 64 bit.

But there IS a solution. "32 Lives" is a nice bit of software, although pricey at $99, which "resurrects" your 32 bit plugs.

Look for ;

soundradix.com

It would have been nice if Apple had included something similar in LP-X, it's only 4Mo of code.

Of course, 32 Lives will resurrect ALL 32 bit plugins, not just B4-II

Happy 🙂

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 28, 2015 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2018 12:33 PM

Hi just4Lance and Blueberry,

I have to give the "reason" to both 🙂

I use the same thing for my setup (B4 and 32 lives) since I like very much the B4 and I don´t plan to change to others soon.

But I agree too with Blueberry since if NI don´t want to upgrade the software they don´t plan to keep it 😟.

That´s a shame

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2018 12:33 PM in response to just4Lance

Hi just4Lance and Blueberry,

I have to give the "reason" to both 🙂

I use the same thing for my setup (B4 and 32 lives) since I like very much the B4 and I don´t plan to change to others soon.

But I agree too with Blueberry since if NI don´t want to upgrade the software they don´t plan to keep it 😟.

That´s a shame

Feb 7, 2017 6:35 AM in response to just4Lance

I play whole shows with the MainStage Organ and it just works. The Leslie sim is on par or even better than the Neo Ventilator and the velocity sensitive key click allows differentiated playing techniques like palm glissando w/o a machine gun effect. And it has the paradise mode (percussion without decay, named after Jimmy Smith's groovin' at small's paradise).

It's true, the standard keyboard MIDI modes might be a bit outdated, OTH Hammond has a special implementation of their drawbar controls, Roland has their own stance on Leslie control, etc.

But the B4 setting should work for you, if your master keyboard already was set up to control the B4 plug-in.

Regarding the crashes: send them to apple.com/feedback or enable "Share crash data ..." . It's in the System pref panel/Security&Privacy/Privacy.

Best,

DaCaptain

Nov 26, 2018 12:36 PM in response to just4Lance

I agree, I've used this setup live for years, and it mostly works, except for some occasional CPU spikes.

HOWEVER, I'm in the process of changing over. AcousticSamples has a wonderful new B5 organ that's even better than B4-ii. Unfortunately, their Leslie emulation isn't great (they are working on it), BUT Melda has an amazing Leslie sim, MVintageRotary, that's on sale for only $27! This combination has turned out to be the proverbial holy grail for me, and absolutely destroys B4-ii and VB3. I haven't finished integrating it into my workflow yet, but I HIGHLY recommend for anyone starting out.

Here's some info. AcousticSamples makes amazing UVI Workstation based instruments, but for their first version of B5, they simply used the pre-packaged UVI rotary sim, which just sounds kinda weak. When I've questioned them about it they were very frank about the fact that they are working on a huge upgrade, my guess is they are developing their own Leslie sim, and judging by the quality of their other instruments it'll probably be amazing. So keep checking back. In the meantime, Melda's sim is cheap and really really good.

One more thing to note, a single instance of B5 uses a scary 500MB of RAM, however, UVI is pretty smart, and all subsequent instances in a project use the same samples and don't take up any more RAM. That's okay with me, anyway.

EDIT: Sorry, but IMO, Apple's Organ is far inferior to any of these options. I've spent hours trying to get it up to the harmonic juiciness of even B4-ii, and it falls way short. But by comparison, B5/Melda is about the same level of upgrade to B4-ii that B4-ii is over Apple's organ. Seriously... I'd even take NIs Vintage Organs (which is an absolute disgrace in of itself) over the MainStage organ. Apple makes amazing software interfaces, but I've never encountered a VI plugin that even a low-end third party didn't absolutely destroy. Some of their effects are good, though.

May 28, 2015 2:26 PM in response to just4Lance

A manufacturer that doesn't see a need to update their plugins to current architecture (well, 64-bit is now many many years old) de-facto abandoned it. Relying as a customer on these plugins is a bad choice. And why should Apple develop support for plugins, for which not even the manufacture care enough to update them? That doesn't make any sense.

I would seriously suggest you try the updated Organ in LPX 10.1 and MS 3.1. It is available, it is part of the application you already own and it just got updated for better quality (if you didn't like the older sound)

May 29, 2015 2:34 AM in response to Blueberry

Hi Blueberry and thanks for your reply.

Yes N.I. abandoned the B4-II 32 bit plugin - if I've persisted with it until now, it's because Apple didn't have anything better to offer. Most of my colleagues have since moved to NORD keyboards plus a Leslie cabinet, but I'm not convinced. This is of course just my biased opinion as a Hammond organ player of long date. I have looked at the Vintage tone wheel organ that comes as standard with LP-X and yes, it is comparable soundwise with the N.I. plugin.. My homework for today is to reconfigure my midi-controller (Studiologic VMK-88) so that the faders and buttons correspond to what LP-X is looking for as opposed to my B4-II configuration.

The B4 plug could also "learn" midi input for all parameters which is somewhat more flexible than the offer of three "standard" keyboard configurations, and bad luck if your's isn't included.

BTW - running LP X on a MBpro retina 2013, 2.8GHz, i7, 8Go RAM, with 500Go SSD - my first attempts at doing anything with the Tonewheel vintage organ sound produced repeated crashes. It seems to have come slowly to it's senses with persistance 🙂

cheers

Lance.

32 bit plugs B4 II

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.