Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked hard Drive

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2012 which I upgraded the Hard Drive to an SSD. I wanted to wipe clean my old hard drive and use it as an external hard drive. I left it running overnight to erase and noticed it had an error. I now cannot open the hard drive as my password no longer works for some reason. Is there a way I can wipe/erase the hard drive if my password no longer works? The hint to my password is the same and I had setup a ridiculously generic password and know that I'm not entering it wrong.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 28, 2015 2:28 PM

2 replies

Jun 14, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

I wanted to erase the info on it and give it to my brother, so he could use it as an external hard drive. My password ended up working and have erased it and given it away. The drive was encrypted and ended up un-encrypting erasing properly without errors, and am not sure if I had issues due to it being encrypted. I'm assuming that I should always un encrypt or de encrypt before trying to erase hard drives.

Locked hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.