Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best practices for my MacBook Pro 13" Retina's battery life/health

Hello!

I just purchased and received my MBPr today, which I am thrilled about. It is a beautiful machine. I want to maximize the battery life and health, but have read a lot of conflicting advice on the internet. Both sides of the argument seem to have intelligent proponents/opponents. Here is my situation, followed by specific questions:

• I bought the MacBook for school, which I start in the beginning of this coming August. Until that time, I have the opportunity to leave my MacBook plugged into the AC at all times. Furthermore, it won't get a lot of use until August. When I start school, I will be taking it from the AC to transport it to school, and will be using it in class. At this time, I'm not sure whether I will have the opportunity to keep it plugged in.

Here are my specific questions:

• On one side of the argument, people say to leave the MacBook plugged into the AC at all times, if possible, only taking it off to discharge slightly (~40-50%) and then recharging it. Is this correct?

• The other side says not exercise the battery regularly. That is, take it off the AC every few hours to let it get some exercise.

• Which of these is more likely to be good for my battery?

• The other conflicting information regards the sleep versus shut down. If I am not planning on using my MacBook for a couple of hours, is it better to put it to sleep by simply closing the lid, or shutting it down completely?

• Should my MacBook be shut down or put to sleep at night? Should it be plugged into the AC at night?

• Lastly, why is there so much conflicting information?

Thank you so much for whoever can give competent advice on this. I am so confused!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 28, 2015 4:22 PM

10 replies

May 28, 2015 8:36 PM in response to roebkerj

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Conventional wisdom from Nickel-Cadmium batteries was to discharge completely (or do so periodically to "condition" the battery and avoid the "memory effect".

With today's Lithium batteries, there is no memory effect, and deep discharge will shorten the battery's lifetime.

The MacBook is a tool to make your life easier. Use it the way it is most helpful to you, and do not be a slave to the wall outlet. It will run most of a day on battery, if that is what you need it to do.

May 28, 2015 10:26 PM in response to roebkerj

Yes, there is a lot of conflicting info because there are different battery technologies. But lithium-ion in laptops over the past few years now tend to be the same, although there are different implementations of charge/discharge at the firmware level. In other words, some machines will automatically cut off charging around 80%, and stop the machine around 20% of capacity. This 80/20 rule is because it reduces the number of 'cycles' (and therefore reduces wear and tear).

The main thing is: relax. The Apple firmware and hardware looks after this, and you shouldn't worry too much. Personally, I too have a retina MacBook Pro 13, and I try not to let the battery discharge completely before recharging. But I wouldn't leave it charging overnight - always unplug it when it's charged.

I connect my Macbook to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. This only works by keeping it plugged in to the power. But when I've finished working in this way, I will always unplug from the power to reduce wear and tear on battery. Even so, I have noticed a decline in battery life, from around 11 hours when I bought it (in late 2013) to 6-7 hours now. But that's still pretty respectable. I often take the machine into work, have a full day of working and browsing and some media playback, and it doesn't run out of juice - that's pretty amazing in my book.

May 29, 2015 3:25 AM in response to marcopolomint

marcopolomint wrote:

. But I wouldn't leave it charging overnight - always unplug it when it's charged.

That is not necessary. The OSX controls battery charging so the battery cannot be overcharged. Once the battery has been fully charged, the charger will supply power to the MBP but not the battery. As far as the battery is concerned, it would be the same as if the MBP were disconnected from the charger, ie: No incoming power.

Ciao.

May 29, 2015 3:46 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for all of the information.

It sounds like there are no real "best practices," as Apple takes care of most of it for the user. So if the option is there, ultimately is it preferred to keep it charging? Though Apple doesn't recommend keeping it plugged in at all times, so how often should one let the battery get some exercise?

What about shutting down vs. sleeping if it isn't going to be used all day? All week?

I really appreciate it.

May 29, 2015 4:07 AM in response to roebkerj

Here is a list of all Apple support articles regarding power and batteries.

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/batteries_power/

My rule of thumb is to use the MBP under battery power at least once per month to about the 40% charge level. When in portable mode, there will be times when the charge level becomes low. When you see a low battery warning, do terminate the session and find AC power. Do avoid the MBP from shutting down due to battery exhaustion. For technical information, refer to Battery University articles available in the Internet.

roebkerj wrote:

What about shutting down vs. sleeping if it isn't going to be used all day? All week?

Which ever you prefer will be fine. I shut down my MBP when I have finished a session. If you like to put the MBP to sleep, I would suggest a restart on occasion, perhaps weekly.

When in travel mode I suggest shutting the MBP down. There have too many instances where the user thinks the MBP is sleeping, only to find that not to be the case and the result is an overheated MBP.

Ciao.

May 29, 2015 5:25 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks Oglethorpe for the clarifications. I also have used and recommend Battery University, although there is a lot of technical information to sort through for the novice.

OGELTHORPE wrote:

marcopolomint wrote:

. But I wouldn't leave it charging overnight - always unplug it when it's charged.

That is not necessary. The OSX controls battery charging so the battery cannot be overcharged. Once the battery has been fully charged, the charger will supply power to the MBP but not the battery. As far as the battery is concerned, it would be the same as if the MBP were disconnected from the charger, ie: No incoming power.

I would err on the side of caution with this, as batteries are now built-in and non user-removable in all MacBooks. With a previous generation MBPro (2007) I was able to easily order and install a replacement battery when the original got to end of life (number of charge cycles). Of course, that is no longer possible, and could end up being very expensive to get Apple replacements. Over the 18 or so months I have had my Retina MBPro, the battery life has measurably degraded, so any opportunities to ameliorate that are worth taking, I think.

May 29, 2015 5:31 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

roebkerj wrote:

Which ever you prefer will be fine. I shut down my MBP when I have finished a session. If you like to put the MBP to sleep, I would suggest a restart on occasion, perhaps weekly.

When in travel mode I suggest shutting the MBP down. There have too many instances where the user thinks the MBP is sleeping, only to find that not to be the case and the result is an overheated MBP.

Yeah, it's up to you: personally, I do the opposite, hardly ever shut it down (maybe once a week) and usually just put it to sleep at the end of a session and also overnight. The 'deep' sleep really helps with battery life, but I have instances like Ogelthorpe says where the battery has drained completely, but this is rare; and I have never had the overheating problem (that suggests background processes that might need shutting down).

Best practices for my MacBook Pro 13" Retina's battery life/health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.