Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My I Phone map not displaying properly

When I use Find My iPhone, the map does not display properly.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on May 28, 2015 3:34 PM

16 replies

May 28, 2015 3:44 PM in response to jaschloss

There are limits to how accurate the displayed information is. Especially when you're indoors where GPS doesn't work.

The location map shows two things. One is the drop pin and the other is a much larger, light blue circle. The pin merely shows the center of the larger circle. The light blue circle shows the area that your device could be located within, as best the data can define it. In other words, if your actual location is anywhere within the large circle, that's as good as current technology allows.

Jun 14, 2015 10:54 AM in response to jaschloss

Find my iphone maps never refresh properly and leave holes in the screen images. I have found this poor performance true on my mac, another iphone, my ipad. The quality is not representative of the expectations of Apple. The mapping service really needs to be completely replaced with a competent Map. AND it is not network performance! That is BS answer.

Oct 23, 2015 6:29 AM in response to jaschloss

User uploaded fileI have exactly the same problem. I have extended ADSL fibre connection which is reasonably fast - average 18MB download and I never have map refresh / zoom problems with Google or Apple maps. With 'find my phone' however it is frequently very poor. Today for example I am trying to track my family's return from holiday via my wife's iPhone so I know what time to expect them. Zoom out and holes appear all over the place..and stay there - it's as if it gives up trying to load the data before the data has all downloaded. And right now it is happening in Safari and Chrome.

Also, it doesn't always update without refresh. A short while ago they appeared to have been in the same spot for 15 minutes but when I refreshed they had moved about 18 miles away.

I don't have a problem with the accuracy - these limitations are acceptable. But maps failing to refresh is pretty poor.

Nov 2, 2015 12:15 PM in response to jaschloss

Same here. Internet speed top flawless VDSL, latest Firefox browser. But Apple Maps just shows large horizontal and vertical wide gap stripes on their "Find my ..." page. There is no way to "reload" or "load" these, either.

I guess Apple wants to do something serious to make people aware that Apple Maps is an actually "functioning" product. As far as I see it now, it is not. Nor has it been.

Mar 30, 2016 3:18 PM in response to jaschloss

I have the same exact issue. I use Find My iPhone to manage over 50 devices for my company. All users physically exist in New Mexico USA, but there is a cross hair gap that omits the majority of the map. It shows most users in Texas when zoomed out, as you zoom in the dots get closer (but still a few hundred miles off) from where they actually are. Once you are zoomed in most of the way they show almost correctly. I wish Apple would fix this issue as it really makes it a useless feature if you cannot tell within a few meters of where the devices are. You shouldn't have to look via a Safari browser. Apple needs to "play better" with other software such as other web browsers. I think you're doing a pretty bad job at that to be honest. Sadly it makes me want to migrate away from Apple and back to Windows/Microsoft. Which is a shame as I used to LOVE Apple/MACS.

Here is what I mean:User uploaded file

Apr 14, 2016 11:52 AM in response to CAnderson505

User uploaded fileOkay, I take back what I said. I think the issue is a browser issue. Like others above have said it works fine in Safari; and upon testing I found it works fine in Google Chrome as well. Okay, I love Apple again. Sorry for being fickle! 🙂

Here is the same view but in Chrome, note how all my devices are not in some broad hinterland but rather in the state I expect them to be.

Aug 2, 2016 12:34 PM in response to webbjh3

I agree with webbjh3. I've had this issue on three different PC computers with three different network connections (all strong) on three different browsers. It is entirely an issue with the FindMyiPhone Maps. Leaving HUGE gaps underneath the pins of my phones is a BIG problem if, like me, I was trying to locate a lost phone. It perhaps is an issue with the PC versus Mac technology though as I could use my friend's iPhone without this issue. Apple, would you please look into this?

Find My I Phone map not displaying properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.