Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac is responding like it was on dial up. Contacted the internet provider and the connection speed is fine.

My Mac is responding so slow to any site or browser I try and open, that it can take 5-10 min. to open if it even does. It acts like I have a dial up connection. I contacted the internet service provider and the speed test proved it was responding above the speed required. I am using a Motorola modem and an Apple router.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 28, 2015 2:02 PM

7 replies

May 28, 2015 3:18 PM in response to jabeach

jabeach wrote:

My Mac is responding so slow to any site or browser I try and open, that it can take 5-10 min. to open if it even does. It acts like I have a dial up connection. I contacted the internet service provider and the speed test proved it was responding above the speed required. I am using a Motorola modem and an Apple router.

If you are at snow leopard - clean up top sites - if you don't use them edit them all out -- they are being automatically refreshed and added to -- big pain.

If you are at snow leopard you may want to switch browsers as Snow no longer supported by mac -- some recommend Firefox -- I use OPERA works fine -- and I do have dial up.

May 28, 2015 11:03 PM in response to jabeach

jabeach wrote:

Does the fact I have OS X Yosemite have anything to do with it possibly?

Yosemite top sites I believe have more detail coming in than in Snow Leopard-something to do with full screen blah blah -- did some investigating out of curiosity. Any automatic updates to itunes podcasts, and synchronization through ICloud to other devices may also be a problem.

From other sites Yosemite does benefit from regular shut-downs (power off) to clear RAM of orphan modules.

and found this article http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/24/speed-up-os-x-yosemite-mac/

Mac is responding like it was on dial up. Contacted the internet provider and the connection speed is fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.