Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung 840 EVO firmware upgrade problem

I own a late 2013 MacBook Pro with an internal optical superdrive and Mavericks OSX 10.9.5). I had replaced the hard drive with a Samsung 840 EVO SSD, using the hard drive as the back-up. Samsung has admitted that there is a problem with some of its SSD with slowing speeds for Read and Write. So recently, I downloaded the Samsung firmware fix - the EXTODB6Q for Macs - from Samsung's website. The firmware upgrade requires burning the download onto a CD and then restarting using the CD to boot. The burnt files on to CD are as follows:

file:///Volumes/CDROM/ISOLINUX/BOOT.CAT

file:///Volumes/CDROM/ISOLINUX/BOOT.MSG

file:///Volumes/CDROM/ISOLINUX/BOOT000.MSG

file:///Volumes/CDROM/ISOLINUX/BTDSK.IMG

file:///Volumes/CDROM/ISOLINUX/ISOLI000.CFG

file:///Volumes/CDROM/ISOLINUX/ISOLINUX.BIN

file:///Volumes/CDROM/ISOLINUX/ISOLINUX.CFG

file:///Volumes/CDROM/ISOLINUX/MEMDISK

Unfortunately on restarting and pressing the "option"key or "C" key, the CD does not show up as a bootable drive. I also tried changing the download iso extension to dmg before burning. But the results are the same - unable to boot from the burn CD. I have read on the Internet that some Macbook users were able to boot and update the SSD but it could be those are earlier models? Any suggestions or advice?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 28, 2015 1:31 PM

6 replies

Samsung 840 EVO firmware upgrade problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.