Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G4 Battery Stuck

Hi!

Today I got my new RAM stick from Crucial in the mail. I went to put it in, but could not remove the battery. I tried sliding, I tried pulling, I tried pushing, but nothing works. I used 4 flathead screwdrivers and determined that the side pulling on it was the side opposite the locking mechanism, below the optical drive.

What should I do?

Thanks,

rmich1731

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on May 28, 2015 2:01 PM

4 replies

May 29, 2015 12:35 AM in response to rmich1731

The trouble you've noted in removing the battery in iBook G4 is uncharacteristic of the design;

except unless the cell has damage and is swollen, or unless the last time it was installed, it

may have been inserted improperly. The contacts for the battery and the way the cell is made

to pivot into position and be held in by the coin-operated retainer, is almost fool-proof.

There is little mention of removing these batteries in the iFixit.com guide (for 2005 iBook 1.33GHz

12-inch or iBook 1.42GHz 14-inch) which are both similar to earlier white Dual USB G3/G4 models.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iBook+G4+12-Inch+1.33+GHz+Battery+Replacement/693

The battery edge toward the outside of the computer, has a shape that fits into the iBook, so as

to hold that side when the inner section is retained by the locking mechanism. There should be

no interference to hinder the battery's exit. The electrical contacts may have been bent so those

in the computer could be holding that side of the battery in. A forced-removal may damage them.

And sadly, the bottom section of the computer cannot be removed without taking the battery out.

There are screws inside the battery compartment. Depending on the iBook G4 build model you

have, the take apart instructions vary, the last two from 2005 differ somewhat, & each has a page

in the iFixit.com https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook_G4 repair guides page. Several models can

run Tiger 10.4.x so that doesn't say which one you have.

It would appear you are looking at a possible repair to the computer once the battery is forcibly

removed to gain access to the probable cause of the battery being in the way. I'd consider asking

some independent authorized Apple repair shop if they have any ideas, as it may be less costly to

pay someone half an hour labor (if they avoid damage to the battery electrical contact, & iBook)

to gain access. Usually these batteries almost fall out, if everything is OK.

•iBook G4 Battery Removal: 18 seconds... with a nickel or quarter, (& maybe a small screwdriver)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yle0flELLkE

Oh, found this bit on how to rebuild the old battery pack, unrelated to removing the jambed cell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKyhNkQzE5E

How long ago was the battery removed & replaced? If it were installed incorrectly or with force, the

problem you are now having would be difficult to remedy now. Assuming it was able to run off the

battery, it shouldn't be swollen or damaged. However, I've heard of a battery jamb-up, years ago.

I have the 12-inch 1.33Ghz iBook G4 (mid 2005) & a few others that are similar in design.

So, I'm not sure what else to suggest...

"Sorry about that, Chief!" (Max Smart) 🙂

May 31, 2015 3:17 AM in response to rmich1731

Wow...!

Was the battery an original with Apple label inside,

or some other, branded with some different name?

That was one of my concerns, of something inside

being way wrong, or maybe the connectors were in

a bent position & held the battery incorrectly in place.

{Now you know vital fluids erupt and other stuff can go

badly, next time be ready to record the event to video.}

There's probably a lesson in there somewhere.

Not sure what it is, unless you're into forensic

portable product diagnostics after they've died.😝

iBook G4 Battery Stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.