Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an easy fix to the issue of my macbook pro having 3 keys that don't consistently work?

Three keys on my macbook pro (j, k, and l) don't consistently work. If I hit the key multiple times, or hold it down, it will eventually start to work. This is very inconsistent behavior. Any easy fixes? Does it require a keyboard replacement?

Posted on May 28, 2015 2:44 PM

3 replies

May 28, 2015 2:53 PM in response to dennyjm

If the MBP is still under warranty, or AppleCare protection, have Apple fix it. Otherwise, you can try a fix yourself. This issue usually occurs when there's something trapped under the keys. The trick is to lift the keys off without twisting anything out of shape. Try a YouTube search, or a site like YouFixIt, for illustrated instructions.

May 28, 2015 3:15 PM in response to dennyjm

If your computer is one that allows the user to remove & replace the battery, remove and

then inspect it. Should it be expanded or tight fitting, or bulging, then do not re-install it.

An expanded battery can force pressures against the inside of the computer and that has

been known to cause keyboard and trackpad issues in portable Apple computers. And of

those with removable batteries, it is best when caught early & a replacement battery fitted.

Sometimes the battery may leak, so that would have to be blotted up and allowed to dry;

there may be some kind of neutralizing agent, but if the battery has leaked, ask an expert

of someone at an Apple Store, or authorized Apple service provider. They also may have

a replacement battery or know if you can get one locally. Consult the expert or Genius,

whichever is available, about the keys and if the battery is the cause. Any Warranty?

If the keyboard itself is the issue and did not have a related expanded battery cause, it may

be you'd have to consider a replacement top half of the lower case; the keyboard on the

MacBook/Pro may require that. Or the keys themselves may have something under them,

and there are some instructions online on how to remove & replace the key-faces. There are

more than two kinds, so be sure if you do that, check since details will make a difference.

• How to remove MacBook Pro keys (temporarily remove/replace)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+take+off+macbook+pro+keys

• An example of upper case replacement (keyboard/trackpad) 13-inch MacBook/Pro Mid-2012:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Upper+Case+Rep lacement/10377

At one point, for a different model Apple portable, I'd found more information about replacing

key-faces and the scissor spring things underneath. Some companies will sell just these parts.

Good luck in any event! 🙂

Is there an easy fix to the issue of my macbook pro having 3 keys that don't consistently work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.