Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I wear my Apple Watch while boxing/working out with a heavy bag (hitting it repeatedly)? Can it take the impact from the hits?

Can I wear my Apple Watch while boxing/working out with a heavy bag (hitting it repeatedly)? Can it take the impact from the hits?

Apple Watch

Posted on May 28, 2015 2:52 PM

17 replies

Aug 13, 2015 11:58 AM in response to Auwsome

Since you do sparring and bag work, perhaps you would know of a wrist-wearable device containing a force transducer. It would at least provide a starting point to determine force due to acceleration for a typical punch. If you did, it would be possible to equate that to the force due to acceleration resulting from dropping the Watch onto a solid surface such as a wooden table.

I can't find any meaningful data on that subject, but it seems to me that dropping a Watch even a few centimeters onto a night stand would subject it to a greater force than you would hitting a bag with it strapped to your wrist. The Watch can move quite a bit while strapped to your arm, even if it were bound by tape and a glove, which means it won't decelerate nearly as fast as dropping it from a height so small no one would think twice about it.

The Watch has no shock resistance rating, no surprise since the only ISO standard that I know of only applies to mechanical watches. Casio's "G-Shock" series alleges survival from a 10m drop onto a "hard surface". If Casio advertises that force in engineering units I can't find it. I seriously doubt any Watch would survive a similar test without exterior damage though, and wrapping a Watch in protective material to preclude exterior damage would render any comparison invalid.

If you can tell me you hit a bag with x number of g as measured by some wrist-worn device, then I might be able to equate that to the force resulting from dropping a Watch from a height of y cm onto a tabletop. However, there will still be several unknown variables requiring reasonable assumptions to be made.

Aug 12, 2015 4:57 PM in response to John Galt

Very true. Also I dug a bit and cannot find anything from Apple that says "...no heavy bag training..." or "...no combat sport training...". That said it could be under Section MMXLVII, Sub-Section 2,325.43B, Article 22r of their Terms and Conditions. I will run it past my contract attorney after I get back from the Cape.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1884035/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.