Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you convert a .mP4 file to a usable format in Final Cut Pro?

I have a file that was give to me, .mp4 that I have to edit into my video...the deadline is tomorrow, so I can't spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to convert this, I need to edit! I have tried Clipwrap and MPEG Streamclip and importing it into iMovie (that did convert it to an MOV but it is just the audio for some reason, the picture is black). What's the easiest way to convert the file? I'm using Final Cut Pro 6.0.5. thank you for any help!

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 28, 2015 7:31 PM

7 replies

May 28, 2015 8:17 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thanks for responding! The video is an edited video, not a clip. Does it still matter what it was filmed on? It was a big production, so definitely a decent camera...but not sure what.

I tried Clipwrap and it won't open the file.

Yes, I can open it in Quicktime. I have Quicktime 10, I'm not sure if that matters. I tried to save it as a movie in quicktime and it says "The movie contains an incorrect time value."

May 28, 2015 8:26 PM in response to ArleighH

If you have FCP 6 you have QuickTime 7. In the Finder, go to the menu Go > Utilities and when the window opens, look for QuickTime Player 7.app.

Open it in QT7 if you can, and then go to the menu Window > Show Movie Inspector and either report what that says or take a screen shot and post that screen shot here. Also, you can try doing the export/conversion within FCP7.

If you can't find QT7 do it in QT10.

You may be missing the correct codec to play the file.

MtD

How do you convert a .mP4 file to a usable format in Final Cut Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.