Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

I had all my photos organized in iPhoto. Then I think I must have downloaded the new Photos app, but I don't really understand where my photos are going. Apple always used to offer workshops on iPhoto, but I don't see any workshops listed at all for Photos. Is there a good tutorial. What is the difference between iPhoto and Photos?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:24 PM

1 reply

May 29, 2015 9:28 AM in response to rush1913

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

There are a number of tutorials on Photo that you can view. A simple Google search found these:

iPhoto Getting Started - Apple

Mac Apps Support - Photos

Photos for Mac 2015 - Full Tutorial - YouTube

Watch the Online Video Course Photos for OS X First Look

How to Add and Organize Images in Photos for OS X Yosemite

Lastly iPhoto was not deleted from your hard drive, only removed from the Dock. If you have iPhoto 9.6.1 you can still use your iPhoto library. If you don't have that version but some earlier version of 9.x try following Terence Devlin's iinstructions in this post to obtain iPhoto 9.6.1 from the App Store:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.