Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change the group of a contact entry?

When establishing a contact, you can assign the new contact to a group.

My question is that once the contact is setup, how do you change the group it was assigned?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on May 28, 2015 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:07 PM

Using the built in app on an iOS device you cannot assign a group to a new contact, or change the group it is assigned to. You need outside help:

• If you sync your contacts to iCloud, log in to https://icloud.com, click on Contacts. You can drag the contact to another group.
  • Similar process if you sync with MS Exchange, Yahoo or Gmail.
  • If you have a Mac and sync the Contact app to the same iCloud account (or gmail or MS Exchange or Yahoo) you can drag the contact to the new group there.
  • If you do not use over the air syncing, but do sync your iPhone contacts with an app on your computer, you can move the contact in that app on your computer.
  • Finally, if none of these apply (and I hope at least one does, because otherwise you will lose all of your contacts some day when the iPhone crashes, is stolen, or breaks), you need a 3rd party app iOS such as Groups or SpeedNames.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2015 5:07 PM in response to rayfromcalif

Using the built in app on an iOS device you cannot assign a group to a new contact, or change the group it is assigned to. You need outside help:

• If you sync your contacts to iCloud, log in to https://icloud.com, click on Contacts. You can drag the contact to another group.
  • Similar process if you sync with MS Exchange, Yahoo or Gmail.
  • If you have a Mac and sync the Contact app to the same iCloud account (or gmail or MS Exchange or Yahoo) you can drag the contact to the new group there.
  • If you do not use over the air syncing, but do sync your iPhone contacts with an app on your computer, you can move the contact in that app on your computer.
  • Finally, if none of these apply (and I hope at least one does, because otherwise you will lose all of your contacts some day when the iPhone crashes, is stolen, or breaks), you need a 3rd party app iOS such as Groups or SpeedNames.

How can I change the group of a contact entry?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.