Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Erratic Trackpad Behaviour, Screen Flashing.

I've experienced problems before with erratic trackpad movement (where the mouse moves on its own accord, clicking random things, dragging, zooming, etc) when a small amount of water was spilled on the trackpad, which after wiping off the water would usually go away within a few hours (at most); However, my current issue is that no liquids were spilled on the trackpad, and it has been experiencing this same erratic behaviour for 3 days now. It tends to go away for a little bit sometimes, and then it comes back.

I've tried many things already suggested in previous threads (just about everything that sounded like it COULD be the problem), and have had no luck thus far. Putting my palm on the trackpad tends to stop it for up to 30 seconds, but that's only a very small temporary fix. I've taken the Macbook apart to check for swelling on the battery and loose connections, and found no such thing. Even unplugged and plugged back in the battery and trackpad twice. Also tried starting in safemode, which ended in my screen flashing a bunch of bars (sort of like when a cable TV goes out of signal for a second), which then continued to happen for a bit after starting the computer in regular mode. The issue happens regardless of whether or not the Macbook is plugged in.

This Mac is reasonably new, as I just got it less than a year ago, and it is very frustrating to experience these issues to such a degree after getting it so recently. I don't live close to any Apple or Computer repair stores, so asking for help on here is pretty much the best thing I can do at the moment.

Here are a list of things that I either tried which did not fix the problem:

- Resetting the PRAM

- Putting palm on trackpad

- Restarting in Safe Mode

- Cleaning out anything inside the macbook

- Unplugging the trackpad wire

- Unplugging the battery wire

- Attempting to dry off the trackpad with a cloth (Like I said, no liquid was spilled, this was just a desperate attempt)

- Turning off Wifi

- Turning off Bluetooth

- Running my fingernail around the edges of the trackpad to remove anything stuck

And here are things which could not be a cause of the issue:

- Faulty Wiring

- Water damage

- Swollen Battery

- Third Party/Wrong charger (using the charger that came with the Macbook Pro)

Any help would be great. The more I can rule out as not a cause of the problem, or not a solution to it, the better. And, of course, finding the problem/solution and fixing it would be amazing.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 28, 2015 7:16 PM

1 reply

Macbook Pro Erratic Trackpad Behaviour, Screen Flashing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.