Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have the OS 8.3 downloaded, but it won't install after I agree to th terms and conditions. The iPad seems to freeze and then I exit the update. Does anyone know why this is occurring?

I Have downloaded the OS 8.3, but it will not install after I agree to the terms and conditions. The iPad just seems to freeze and nothing occurs. Could I have a virus of some sort? How do I remedy this?

iPad Air, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:31 PM

You do not have a virus. The iPad cannot get a virus unless it has been jail broken (hacked). Try force restarting the iPad and then see if you can continue the installation of the update.

To force restart the device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Lisarok

You do not have a virus. The iPad cannot get a virus unless it has been jail broken (hacked). Try force restarting the iPad and then see if you can continue the installation of the update.

To force restart the device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

May 29, 2015 6:24 AM in response to Lisarok

You may want to try the download again...maybe something got corrupted on the initial download.

Delete the existing iOS update under Settings/General/Usage/Storage/Manage Sorage. A list of installed apps will be displayed (it may take a few seconds to fully populate the list). Find the iOS update app in the list (the iOS update app is large so it should be at the top of the list since the apps are listed by size, largest at the top). Tap on the iOS update app, then tap on the red "Delete App" button. After it's been deleted, try to download it again under Settings/General/Software Update.

If you have the same problem after re-downloading, try the update via iTunes using your syncing PC/Mac. If you do this, be sure and delete the iOS update app from the device as directed above before updating via iTunes.

See the following page for full info (scroll down about half-way for the iTunes update procedure) on updating iOS:

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

May 29, 2015 6:53 AM in response to Lisarok

It will not make a difference if you are not signed into iCloud. I update my wife's devices all the time over WiFi and she doesn't use iCloud at all.

SergZak has made a couple of excellent suggestions. I would try those as well. In fact, at this point, I would try his suggestions first.

Jun 25, 2015 7:02 AM in response to SergZak

I am having the same problem so I tried to follow your suggestion to delete the app in the Manage Storage setting. However, the iOS update app is not included in my Storage list. I have already tried the hard restart and the Reset Settings suggestions and still can't download the update. I don't know how to delete the pending update from my iPad if it doesn't show up in the Storage list. How do I correct that problem? Thank you!

Jun 25, 2015 7:01 AM in response to Lisarok

Did this issue get finally resolved?

In case it did not, would ask how much free storage is available on the device? In a major (i.e., 7 to 8) Over The Air update, you need at least 6GB of free space before you begin in order for the process to conclude with no issues. Smaller "delta" updates (i.e., 8.2 to 8.3) and/or done thru iTunes on a computer can succeed with less but you still need about 2GB to be on the safe side.

Jun 30, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Demo

Thank you for your help, Demo and SergSak. I combined a suggestion from each of you with success. First I deleted the original 8.3 download and then I reset the settings since my iPad was working as it should a few times in the past few weeks. Then downloaded the latest update 8.4 in this case and it was able to install after I agreed to the first of the terms and conditions.

I have the OS 8.3 downloaded, but it won't install after I agree to th terms and conditions. The iPad seems to freeze and then I exit the update. Does anyone know why this is occurring?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.