Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popup: Java Runtime Environment

I keep getting a pop up that tells me I need to download "Java Runtime Environment".

I keep choosing "close" and it lets me close the pop up window.

I wasn't worried about this until I received a strange message today that "suspicious activity was suspected on my mac"

There was a number to call, and when I called it was a noisy room with a foreigner asking for remote access to my computer to remove a virus.

I promptly hung up and "force closed" the pop up window.

I followed Apple's instructions and attempted to delete Malware.

I didn't totally understand the instructions.

In my attempt to search for this under the "Activity" something or another, I never found it.

So I'm not convinced that malware is downloaded on my computer, but I'm not certain it is not, either.

Tips from experts?

I'm a professional, but not a techie.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:30 PM

That message was a "phishing" scam, to get you to allow someone access to your computer, possibly to infect it. You should not have called the number, as they now have YOUR number and you are likely to get more phishing calls.

The Java message may be unrelated to the strange message; by default Macs do not have a Java runtime installed (for security reasons). You generally don't need one, but there are some sites that require them. If the site is NOT a secure site (begins "HTTPS://" you should never allow Java to run on it.

Your computer is probably not infected, but you would need a good malware tool to be sure.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2015 5:30 PM in response to Issa Sturm

That message was a "phishing" scam, to get you to allow someone access to your computer, possibly to infect it. You should not have called the number, as they now have YOUR number and you are likely to get more phishing calls.

The Java message may be unrelated to the strange message; by default Macs do not have a Java runtime installed (for security reasons). You generally don't need one, but there are some sites that require them. If the site is NOT a secure site (begins "HTTPS://" you should never allow Java to run on it.

Your computer is probably not infected, but you would need a good malware tool to be sure.

May 28, 2015 6:23 PM in response to Issa Sturm

Since you are not a 'techie', give our own thomas_r's AdwareMedic a try. If you have anything malware or adware, it will likely find it - unless it is VERY new variant.

If you want to learn a little "techie' stuff, you can try it the manual way > The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide

If you allowed access to some character, no matter how smooth, consider your Mac compromised.

ÇÇÇ

Popup: Java Runtime Environment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.