Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need a formula that results in the names found in the same row that has a checkbox checked

I have a form I am using for customers to order business cards based on a list of names (column A) on a separate sheet. I'm using check boxes for the customer to identify which names need to be ordered for printing. Right now I have a column that returns the value TRUE if the checkbox is checked, but I would be much happier if there was a formula that results in a list of names (found in column A) orthe row number the names are found whose row has been checked?

I know that I could create a column and use letters or numbers to then index, but this option isn't ideal because the list will constantly be changing (adding names and subtracting names). Therefore, using the actual names, or the row numbers in the results would be ideal because I won't have to keep track of the order of numbers/letters in a separate column.

Posted on May 28, 2015 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 7:24 PM

Hi Zombocom,

I think you are selling the powers of index columns short.

User uploaded file

Then your report/summary table like so:

User uploaded file

You can filter or trap the errors if you don't want to see them.

quinn

3 replies

May 29, 2015 8:20 PM in response to Zombocom1023

Hi Zombocom,

I tend to use INDEX/MATCH over the lookup functions when I want an exact match. It has the advantage that you don't need to be searching the leftmost column. Match will also search a row and give you a column. I am still looking for a must use situation for that.

Glad this worked for you. Thanks for the green tick.

quinn

I need a formula that results in the names found in the same row that has a checkbox checked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.