Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

automator folder action doesn't import photos

I just upgraded my OS from Snow Leopard to Yosemite (on a late 2008 aluminum MacBook). After the update, the system requested that I update the iPhoto library using a separate tool.

Previously (under Snow Leopard), I had Automator set up to automatically import files from a Dropbox folder into iPhoto. Worked like a charm.

Since I updated the OS, photos have not been imported automatically. I opened Automator and opened the scripts (which were still there). Under the "Import Files into iPhoto" if I selected "Existing album" it shows "No Value" instead of the names of any Photo libraries even though they are still on the computer (screenshot below).

User uploaded file

I want to get this automation working again, but it doesn't seem compatible with the new Photos app. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Posted on May 28, 2015 7:41 PM

19 replies

Jun 4, 2015 7:57 PM in response to vial_thalia

vial_thalia wrote:

Okay, that helps a little. That action doesn't seem to be available to me even though I'm running Yosemite. My Automator is version 2.5, is that the latest version?

2.5 is the most current version & it does not include any actions for the Photos app. However, you can download & install this third party package of Photos actions, which I suspect is what Old Toad did.

Jun 20, 2015 8:52 AM in response to nadamew

Did you save the script as an application. All you need to do is drag a photo onto it and it will be imported into Photos and show up in the Last Import smart album.

When my photos are on a different hard drive than my library I get the following when trying to use the Automator app:

User uploaded file

So If you photos are on another hard drive move them to the boot drive and try from there.

Aug 26, 2015 5:03 AM in response to jynk

jynk wrote:

hey - i too need the new photos automation actions. But for the life of me i can see any download link for the new actions! Could someone point it out? Much appreciated!

It appears they have been removed from the site, apparently because they would conflict with the built-in ones in the soon to be released OS X 10.11 (El Capitan):

User uploaded file

I checked to see if the Wayback Machine had an archive of the site but no luck. 😟

automator folder action doesn't import photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.