Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong username when updating apps

Hi,

I'm having trouble when updating some apps on my Iphone 6. With the apps that need to be signed into to update them, its bringing up my partners username instead of mine.

Ive logged onto mine on Itunes and plugged my phone in, checked Itunes and any other sign in things on my General settings and all are signed in under my username. I dont want to update these using his just incase they are the same app that he has and data is transferred from either account.

Would really love to know how to change this!

Thanks in advance

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:35 PM

Whatever purchases were made in the App Store or iTunes Store are forever tied to the Apple ID used to purchase them. The only way you can avoid to use the Apple ID that was used to originally purchase the apps is to re-purchase them with your own Apple ID.

As far as updating the apps using the other person's Apple ID, that has no effect on the data stored on your iPhone, as long as both of you use a different Apple ID and/or computers for syncing.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2015 11:35 PM in response to Boosa85

Whatever purchases were made in the App Store or iTunes Store are forever tied to the Apple ID used to purchase them. The only way you can avoid to use the Apple ID that was used to originally purchase the apps is to re-purchase them with your own Apple ID.

As far as updating the apps using the other person's Apple ID, that has no effect on the data stored on your iPhone, as long as both of you use a different Apple ID and/or computers for syncing.

Wrong username when updating apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.