Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my photo labels disappeared when I iPhoto updated

I labelled all my photos in an older version of iPhoto including names and statements about the subject that was photographed. When looking at them in the latest version of iPhoto all my photo names and labels disappeared. Is there a way of getting them back?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 28, 2015 9:48 PM

2 replies

May 28, 2015 9:56 PM in response to 5646

Please double-check if you're looking at the latest version of iPhoto (v. 9.6.1) or the new app Photos (v. 1.0).

In Photos enable Photos > View > Metadata > Title.

If the information yore looking for is still not displayed under the thumbnails, you entered it as a Name tag, not a Title tag.

If you want to convert Name to Title forum member léonie: createed an Automator action, that executes an Apple Script to change the titles to the filename, if the title is empty - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8414

May 29, 2015 9:32 AM in response to 5646

iPhoto was not deleted from your hard drive, only removed from the Dock. If you have iPhoto 9.6.1 you can still use your iPhoto library. If you don't have that version but some earlier version of 9.x try following Terence Devlin's iinstructions in this post to obtain iPhoto 9.6.1 from the App Store:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

my photo labels disappeared when I iPhoto updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.